Topic Sponsor

Possible transmission issue?

Old 01-25-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible transmission issue?

Okay guys, so I believe have a bit of a transmission issue. In my 1995 F-150 2WD (4R70W) I have a very annoying and unsettling vibration that comes from my front left side. It almost feels like youre driving over rattle strips on highways. I suspected that it was a bad tire or suspension component, but to my dismay I got new tires and springs and the issue wasn't corrected. I did some research and found that the torque converter could be causing the issue but I haven't got a solid answer yet. It only happens at 60-90kph, typically in O/D. But on the odd occasion my transmission can't decide if it wants to be in 3rd or O/D and I can hear and feel the switching between gears. I haven't driven it much lately so I haven't troubleshot it yet. I read that a fluid change or flush and a new filter could help. I'm not sure when or if any tranny work was previously done because I've only had it since early September 2015. Any input would be great!👍
Old 01-26-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Changing the fluid and filter can't hurt if nothing is wrong with it. I've had some shops tell me they won't touch a transmission if it is high mileage. If you think it is the transmission, then you have nothing to loose by changing it. Or if your fluid is clean, maybe add some high quality transmission additive and see what happens then go from there.

Did you check your ball joints? Ones going bad could act that way.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by memoniz
Changing the fluid and filter can't hurt if nothing is wrong with it. I've had some shops tell me they won't touch a transmission if it is high mileage. If you think it is the transmission, then you have nothing to loose by changing it. Or if your fluid is clean, maybe add some high quality transmission additive and see what happens then go from there.

Did you check your ball joints? Ones going bad could act that way.
Ball joints are on the high priority list as well. I think the drivers side has gone bad. Haven't given them the once over but I wanted to grease them soon and see if it made a difference. So along with the rumble strip feeling on my passenger side, I've got a small popping noise on my driving side. The sound mimics a plastic screw driver handle hitting my floorboard but its coming from somewhere in my wheel assembly. So each side is doing something different than the other and its just infuriating.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You really shouldn't be driving a truck like that on the road, or at all. Aside from the obvious danger, you could be ignoring a small problem and turning it into a huge expensive job.
I'd suggest taking it to a shop and pay them to have a look and tell you what's wrong. You can then decide if it's something you can do yourself or if you need to hire it done.
It could also be some minor little thing and they tell you not to worry - but it doesn't really sound like it, so I'd get it checked sooner rather than later before you screw something up really bad.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
You really shouldn't be driving a truck like that on the road, or at all. Aside from the obvious danger, you could be ignoring a small problem and turning it into a huge expensive job.
I'd suggest taking it to a shop and pay them to have a look and tell you what's wrong. You can then decide if it's something you can do yourself or if you need to hire it done.
It could also be some minor little thing and they tell you not to worry - but it doesn't really sound like it, so I'd get it checked sooner rather than later before you screw something up really bad.
Well unfortunately I dont have enough money to pay someone to look at something that I am perfectly capable of looking at. Like I said, haven't driven it or had much time to look at it. I've checked the play in each front tire and there is minimal to none. I'm not overly concerned about this "issue" as one may call it. Just wanted some insight as to how my transmission could be linked to a rumble strip feeling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible transmission issue?