Topic Sponsor

Overheat transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheat transmission

96 Ford F150 Eddie Bauer with the Mazda transmission. The transmission and the floor boards get so hot you can't touch them. I went to Ford and to Midas, they both said it was catalytic converter. I had them replaced. The heat is still there. Any thoughts? Fuel regulator, valves, intake manifold, pressure regulator? Any thoughts I have no idea
Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have the vinyl or carpet floor in? Or is it just the metal?
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by 94FordI6
Do you have the vinyl or carpet floor in? Or is it just the metal?
. I have carpet. Pull up the carpet and the floor is extremely hot.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Mines the same, I'm assuming from the heat from the engine and exhaust being so close.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

If you try to touch the transmission in any vehicle after driving it for a while it's going to be very hot. Enough to burn you, I know from experience. And if you pull up the carpet and touch the metal floor right above the converter it's going to be pretty hot but not enough to burn you.

If the converter is sitting too close to the transmission and doesn't have a heat shield on it it can heat up that side of the trans pretty good. But you would most likely notice a leaking gasket if that was the case. It will cook the gasket before it does any damage to anything else. Also, if there's no heat shield on it it will get the floor of the cab hotter than normal but not hot enough to damage anything.

And as a for instance. In my 02 Mustang I have an aftermarket Tri Ax shifter and the Mach1 metal shift ****. There have been times during the summer where the heat from the trans will up the shifter and then heat up the metal shift **** enough that I can't keep my hand on it. But the trans is fine.

The only other thing you might check is to see if the engine is running too rich or lean. That can cause the converter to really heat up and can destroy the new converter. After driving it for a good while at night look up under the truck and see if the converter is glowing red.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Crownman
If you try to touch the transmission in any vehicle after driving it for a while it's going to be very hot. Enough to burn you, I know from experience. And if you pull up the carpet and touch the metal floor right above the converter it's going to be pretty hot but not enough to burn you. If the converter is sitting too close to the transmission and doesn't have a heat shield on it it can heat up that side of the trans pretty good. But you would most likely notice a leaking gasket if that was the case. It will cook the gasket before it does any damage to anything else. Also, if there's no heat shield on it it will get the floor of the cab hotter than normal but not hot enough to damage anything. And as a for instance. In my 02 Mustang I have an aftermarket Tri Ax shifter and the Mach1 metal shift ****. There have been times during the summer where the heat from the trans will up the shifter and then heat up the metal shift **** enough that I can't keep my hand on it. But the trans is fine. The only other thing you might check is to see if the engine is running too rich or lean. That can cause the converter to really heat up and can destroy the new converter. After driving it for a good while at night look up under the truck and see if the converter is glowing red.
I took truck to a Ford tech, first thing he said was the K & N filter that I have with the air temperature sending unit at the filter is registering the ambient temperature within the engine which is then telling the ECM to send too much fuel and the cats are working too much and getting hot.

He told me to take the truck back home unhook the battery, put back in the stock air filter system, then drive it around, then remove the battery again, then drive around and see if that will work. This did not work.

The temperature at the front cat is 200, the temperature at tranny is 130, the temperature at exhaust manifold is 210, the temperature of the floorboard inside cab is 135.

Not sure if these are normal temperatures or not.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:31 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Your first vehicle? Vehicles get hot. It's what they do.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Your first vehicle? Vehicles get hot. It's what they do.
Thanks. I have had this truck for 16 years and now all of a sudden I'm getting heart radiating from the floor board. I understand vehicles get hot, but I replaced a transmission in my car and after 30 minutes of running it straight I can work on the engine, touch the transmission while I'm working on the engine. My truck running it 30 minutes straight you can't even touch the transmission. My car is automatic, my truck is a manual. Manual transmissions should never get that.

Quick Reply: Overheat transmission