Topic Sponsor

Newbie tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie tranny issue

First post and first time 150 owner. Been a vintage mustang guy for 30 years so love Fords. I wanted a good old work horse for cleaning up around some new land I purchased. Bought a 1992 ext cab long bed with a 5.0 and automatic.kind of beat up, but only 124,000 miles. Bought if from the original owner. Test drove it hard up to 90 mph for 20 minutes. Never got too hot and no leaks. All gears up and down and OD worked perfect. Drove it home and tranny fluid was pouring out around the bell housing rubber inspection plug. Couple other issues as well. Here is my plan that I want to run by you guys.

1. Remove tranny and replace the front seal and the pump o-ring and brass bushing.

2. Reinstall tranny with new fluid...should fix problem

3. AC compressor turns and clutch engages for about 30 seconds then clutch disengages. This goes on and on. Must be just a charge issue. I plan on going the redTek method with a can of the leak sealer and two cans of the R12a synthetic.

4. Steering has a lot of play, about 3 to 4 inches of free travel. Can I tighten up the steering box worm gear a bit or do I need a new box?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Saw a plugged tranny cooler line do that on a mustang (my sister's car). Blew out the lines and cooler, never happened again. Might be worth trying before you pull the tranny since you'll probably do it anyway.
I think your compressor should have high and low pressure shutoff sensors - might want to check where you're at before adding anything, could be a blockage.
If the play is in the steering box you can try tightening a little by backing off the nut and turning in the screw. Little bits at a time though (1/4 turn) as too much and it'll start overcentering (too tight) and pulling back and forth as you try to go straight. Check all the rest of the steering parts first of course.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the transmission is overheating and pushing trans fluid out of the front pump seal. replacing the seal will NOT solve the issue.

Most likely the OD band is cooked by now, but you MIGHT be able to add an extra transmission cooler to buy some time
Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you are correct. As I have read a ton about this on the web, many folks have experienced the same issue and it was due to overheating. This happened on a day here in Texas that was 104 and I was on the freeway doing 80 and then in stop and go traffic for an hour.

I installed a tranny cooler yesterday, put three quarts of fluid in, and drove all over town without any fluid loss. However, when the tranny shifts into OD, it seems to have a surging sensation especially when we go up hill. Drop it out of OD and the surge stops.

I ordered a new pump seal and front seal. Any reason to install at this point? Seems that I have solved the problem with a better cooling system...but damage was done as you suggest to the OD.

I plan on draining all the fluid from the case and converter and putting on a new filter. The fluid is a darker than normal color...hoping that helps the tranny perform better as well.

Quick Reply: Newbie tranny issue