Topic Sponsor

need new ratios

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need new ratios

hey everybody just bought a 95 f150 xlt with the 5.0l it has a 2inch lift with 33's on it but it feel really slugish and i was wondering if that could be do to the ring and pinion gear setup? and if it is what gears do you recommend this tuck is mainly used on the street but it will go off road too. thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kagan21
hey everybody just bought a 95 f150 xlt with the 5.0l it has a 2inch lift with 33's on it but it feel really slugish and i was wondering if that could be do to the ring and pinion gear setup? and if it is what gears do you recommend this tuck is mainly used on the street but it will go off road too. thanks in advance
Find out what you have first. But with 33s I'd say probably 3.55ls or maybe 3.73ls. And what do you mean by sluggish?? Like it takes too much power to get moving, in which case you may have the fairly uncommon 2.73 that I have.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:15 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

its a truck its going to be sluggish if you want a good street truck with some off roading go with 3.55s with a limeted slip diff like he said ^ if it feels sluggish it could be the engine needing a tune up amung other things.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 PM

yea i am in the process of a tune-up right now
the list:
plugs and wires
IAC
cap and rotor
fuel filter
clean throttle body
clean MAF
inspect throttle position sensor replace if needed
inspect EGR
new air filter
seafoam engine and fuel tanks
flush radiator

and it seems it takes a lot of power to move even going up a hill to i almost have my foot on the floor. but thanks for the replays my friend was suggesting 3.73 gears.
now how big of a difference is there between 3.55 and 3.73. noob here i am mainly a car guy so its a new world for me going to trucks
Old 02-23-2014, 06:40 PM
lost my Car again...

yea i am in the process of a tune-up right now
the list:
plugs and wires
IAC
cap and rotor
fuel filter
clean throttle body
clean MAF
inspect throttle position sensor replace if needed
inspect EGR
new air filter
seafoam engine and fuel tanks
flush radiator

and it seems it takes a lot of power to move even going up a hill to i almost have my foot on the floor. but thanks for the replays my friend was suggesting 3.73 gears.
now how big of a difference is there between 3.55 and 3.73. noob here i am mainly a car guy so its a new world for me going to trucks
Do not forget the transmission fluid and filter if its an automatic as well as diff fluid and oil. if you need to mat it to the floor just to move might be time for a new Clutch or check your transmission for slippage.

I'm a car guy too and i take it your a Rice burner then not dealing with rear differentals at all theres not a big difference 3.73s will pull better limeted slip diff is to help keep the power to the ground. 3.55s should be just fine with what you do with it.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:23 PM

yea i forgot about the trans and what brand of diff oil do you recommend?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:26 PM
lost my Car again...

yea i forgot about the trans and what brand of diff oil do you recommend?
Royal Purple it IS the best. not many will argue that. its damn expensive though. i used it for my diff and transmission after it was all said and done it was close to 300 bucks. but i plan on keeping my truck for life.

major name brands like valvoline penzoil and such would be fine. as for the filter go Ford oem
Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM

ok and what brand of gears should i go with?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ok and what brand of gears should i go with?
If look for a complete factory axle either online or in a scrap yard.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:09 PM

http://pitbulltires.com/calculate.php

I'd play with this calculator

if you have 33" tires and want a stock feel of a 3.55 (assuming the 235 tires) this says you'll probably want 4.10 gears.

I have a 3.55 axle with 235/75/15 tires and I'm looking at going to 33's with 4.30 or 4.56 gears to help get rid of some of the sluggishness and offset the larger size. Hwy RPMS will increase so keep that in mind if you do a lot of hwy miles.

Quick Reply: need new ratios