Topic Sponsor

Need help on installing a diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on installing a diff lock

So I have a 2wd 95 f150 5 speed and I want to put a diff lock on it but I have no idea how to do that so just wondering if any one can help me, send me a video or just a jist on what I have to buy or somthing to get my started
Old 08-09-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First question, do you have the twin I beams or solid front axle? And are you planning on doing a 4x4 swap? If not, why are you looking to put locking hubs on?

I'm not sure if 4x4 steering knuckles will bolt up to 2wd I beams. So I'd say your best bet would be to just get the whole 4wd I beams and just swapping them in. They should just bolt right in. They are in my truck. If you have a solid front axle, just buy the whole 4wd solid front axle and put it in. Doesn't necessarily have to be hooked up.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe he is asking about a rear locking differential to replace his open differential.
I don't have any information on how to do this, but I have considered it for my truck.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewgallo1
So I have a 2wd 95 f150 5 speed and I want to put a diff lock on it but I have no idea how to do that so just wondering if any one can help me, send me a video or just a jist on what I have to buy or somthing to get my started
You can get a brand new Ford Racing LS diff for $229. If you really have no idea how to do it then you should definitely have a shop put it in. A new crush sleeve needs to be put in so that the gear lash can be set properly once the new unit is in.

Here's the LS diff.
https://lmr.com/item/M4204F318C/Must...r-Clutch-Disks

Get that, and a standard crush sleeve. This would also be the time to change to a new rear gear if you've ever wanted to.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You should just be able to buy a locking style carrier and have it installed. I don't think they have to touch the pinion to install a new carrier, but it will have to be shimmed properly side to side to dial in the gear lash. Pinion depth setting should remain exactly the same, I believe.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
You should just be able to buy a locking style carrier and have it installed. I don't think they have to touch the pinion to install a new carrier, but it will have to be shimmed properly side to side to dial in the gear lash. Pinion depth setting should remain exactly the same, I believe.
True, the pinion should be fine as long as the diff is shimmed correctly. I've just always done the pinion also. Overkill? yeah, 99% of the time.

Quick Reply: Need help on installing a diff lock