Topic Sponsor

Metal tube/hose leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal tube/hose leak

There's a hose or tube on the bottom of my 89 f150 4x4 leaking red fluid (I believe it's coolant) the tube is metal? I don't know much about vehicle repair so I need some help. What are the metal tubes for? It has a pin hole leak almost like when you put a hole in a full soda and it just sprays out slow. Is there a way to repair the hole? If not how would I go about getting a new hose? I'll post pics of what it is in a little bit. All help is much appreciated
Old 12-15-2014, 03:32 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

If it's red then it's ATF, the line is going to either the radiator or (only an option if you have the tow package or someone installed an aftermarket) trans cooler. All of these trucks have the ATF cooling in the radiator (attach below radiator cap facing engine) but some also have the external trans cooler mounted to the front of the radiator. You need to find which line it is and get a replacement one. Any patches will only hold for a short time so I wouldn't even recommend them except as a way to limp it until the repair is made properly.

When you replace the line you will more than likely loose a lot of ATF so you may also consider taking this time to replace the filter and trans pan gasket.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fltdriver
If it's red then it's ATF, the line is going to either the radiator or (only an option if you have the tow package or someone installed an aftermarket) trans cooler. All of these trucks have the ATF cooling in the radiator (attach below radiator cap facing engine) but some also have the external trans cooler mounted to the front of the radiator. You need to find which line it is and get a replacement one. Any patches will only hold for a short time so I wouldn't even recommend them except as a way to limp it until the repair is made properly.

When you replace the line you will more than likely loose a lot of ATF so you may also consider taking this time to replace the filter and trans pan gasket.
I need to limp it home from work tonight, so I can get it in the garage and fix it. What would you recommend so it can make it home?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 89f1504wd
I need to limp it home from work tonight, so I can get it in the garage and fix it. What would you recommend so it can make it home?
You could take a piece of vacuum hose, say about 2 1/2 inches long and slit it lengthwise so if fits over the line. Put the slit part opposite the leak. Put a small hose clamp on each end of the hose and maybe a hose clamp right where the hole would be. Get the vacuum hose small enough around so it doesn't quite go all the way around the line. Probably 5/16" I.D. Maybe 3/8.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:35 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Or just take any small piece of rubber and apply it over the hole, you said it's pin hole size, then use a hose clamp right over the hole. This will apply more pressure to create a better seal. The hose clamp, even a very small one, would be much wider than a pin hole so it will create pressure all around the hole or right on the hole- depending on where the worm drive holes happen to sit.

Quick Reply: Metal tube/hose leak