Topic Sponsor

Inboard U Joint 1996 f150 HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inboard U Joint 1996 f150 HELP!!!

Anyone have any guidelines for the inboard joint? Do I have to drop the entire front end? It is the only thing I haven't replaced on the front end besides the differential itself. I have had a vibration/noise that totally sounds like a bad joint. I didn't know there was another one up there. I need to replace it bad. Please help. Do I have to bring it to a shop or can I do it?
Old 09-25-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You can do it. But it's a fair bit of work. Nothing super technical - no gear adjustments or anything, and the main traction beams stay attached to the truck - but it's not a real fun job.

You have to take the front diff pot off the traction beam - there's a c-clip (like the ones in the rear diff) that holds that shaft in the diff and you have to take the "pumpkin" part of the diff out to access the c-clip.
After you unhook all 3 driveshafts, there are 2 bolts on the driver's side at the back and the ones you can see from the front.

Once you unbolt and lower this you can pull the c-clip and remove the inner shaft. Change the u-joint, put the shaft back in, reinsert the c-clip. Clean up the mating surfaces, a little rtx to seal it, put all the bolts back in and re install the driveshafts. Not rocket science, but it's a little heavy and akward and the fluid smells really bad.
The following users liked this post:
96ranchtruck (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris you are a BAD man! Thank you so much for ALL THE HELP. I will give it a whirl soon. The sound is driving me nuts. Besides the fact I'm scared to go over 60. I was just under the truck yanking on that small inner shaft. There is a very small amount of movement in the shaft as it enters the differential......likely a bad bearing? Probably the source of the sound. It also moves in and out a bit. I hope I don't open to find a bunch of shrapnel. It sounds good when you spin it by hand. I guess I'll find out.

Quick Reply: Inboard U Joint 1996 f150 HELP!!!