Topic Sponsor

I want to convert to posi traction

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I want to convert to posi traction

I use my truck for hunting and a twice a month trip to the dump. When hunting its so easy for me to get stuck , even on level ground in just a little mud because one wheel turns and the other does nothing. Is there a kit or something I can install that will make both rear wheels pull all the time?
Old 09-30-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes you can convert to a full locker(recommended) or and Limited-slip. The limited slip will probably require you to get a different differential. Another thing i would suggest if you cannot do the mechanical work is a nice set of M/T tires.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't use it as a daily driver or drive too often on paved road you could even weld the rear end. Both wheels will always rotate at the same speed so they'll bark and hop when turning on paved road but it will get the job done off road.

Just a thought.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:46 PM

Please define limited slip and what a full locker is please. I would like to use the truck as a backup vehicle if mine breaks down so I want to be able to use on pavement when I have to. I also have to drive it public road to get to the dump and to get to the place where I hunt.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You want limited slip. Eastcoastgearsupply.com has rebuilt factory LS diffs for $175, likely the cheapest route aside from a JY LS axle.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-117...e-rebuilt.html
Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should find all your info here : www.f150forum.com or www.google.com
Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 PM

Young....the reason I am here is to make the search easier and to benefit from those wiser with insights which many others do not have. That's why Im here. If I wanted to sift through massive amounts of data and waste a lot of time I would have used a search engine. Thanks to those who helped.

Trending Topics

Old 10-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Limited slip works like single trac until your drive wheel starts spinning, then the torque of the spin locks up the diff so both wheels spin. That's what you need for what you want. Fairly common option on f150's.
Just search for a whole L/S rear end with lower miles and good brakes etc and have it installed.
Which axle and it's gears are identified by a code on the sticker on the driver's door post. There's also a tag on one of the bolts on the cover if it's still there. Probably want to try and stay with the same gear ratio that you're used to already.

Quick Reply: I want to convert to posi traction