Topic Sponsor

Hello and question about transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and question about transmission

Hello everybody, just joined but i have used this site for much research. Its very helpful! I have a few questions about transmission removal in my truck (because i am replacing the flywheel). !st- How do i know what kind of tranny i have, my chilton manual has a removal process for two trannys. my next question is, what are some good things to replace while i have the tranny removed? Do i need to replace the joints in my drive shaft after i take them out? Any other tips you guys got for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Btw its a 1988 ford f150 xlt lariat, with the automatic tranny and V8 351.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:22 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Look for the door sticker and get the tranny code or look at the tranny pan

Hello and question about transmission-ford_aod_gaskets.jpg
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
Look for the door sticker and get the tranny code or look at the tranny pan

Attachment 273958
Doesnt an 88 5.8 have a c3, and the e4od was introduced in 89? In that case does the op have overdrive? If not I would say it is a c3. I say this because you didnt have a pic of a c3 tranny pan.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon587

Doesnt an 88 5.8 have a c3, and the e4od was introduced in 89? In that case does the op have overdrive? If not I would say it is a c3. I say this because you didnt have a pic of a c3 tranny pan.
That's just the pic I have saved on my phone for those particular transmissions. I only included it incase one of those is on his truck. He should have a C6 or AOD as far as I know

Last edited by Forge-World-FORD; 12-05-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 12feltonz
Hello everybody, just joined but i have used this site for much research. Its very helpful! I have a few questions about transmission removal in my truck (because i am replacing the flywheel). !st- How do i know what kind of tranny i have, my chilton manual has a removal process for two trannys. my next question is, what are some good things to replace while i have the tranny removed? Do i need to replace the joints in my drive shaft after i take them out? Any other tips you guys got for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Btw its a 1988 ford f150 xlt lariat, with the automatic tranny and V8 351.
2wd or 4wd. If 4wd, dont try to take tranny out with transfer case on it like I did, its awkward to handle. Second, a transmission jack is really, really nice for this job, especially when putting it back in. While the tranny is out, I would replace the rear main, and while having a bit of room to work under there, think about also doing the oil pan. SOme say you need to raise the engine to do it, others say nay. Personally, Ive never done it so I dont know.As for the drive shaft, are you talking about the universal joints? If so, I dont see why they would need replaced unless theyre giving you issues right now. When you put back in your tranny, be sure your torque converter is seated on the shaft correctly, you should have two or three clunks, my e4od was 3, idk about other trannys though, I think almost all are at least two clunks. Thats about all I can think of for now though.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
That's just the pic I have saved on my phone for those particular transmissions. I only included it incase one of those is on his truck. He should have a C6 or AOD as far as I know
Oh ok gotcha.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have the e40D tranny. My list of parts so far is the flexplate, rear main seal, oil pan gasket and all new universale joints. Mine are not very good, i got them off. I will pull the transfer case off. Can someone give me a diagram for the bolts on the transfer case to tranny and the tranny to motor. I wanna make sure i get them all. Thanks for the help guys! it also have four wheel drive btw.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 12feltonz
Thanks everyone for the replies! I have the e40D tranny. My list of parts so far is the flexplate, rear main seal, oil pan gasket and all new universale joints. Mine are not very good, i got them off. I will pull the transfer case off. Can someone give me a diagram for the bolts on the transfer case to tranny and the tranny to motor. I wanna make sure i get them all. Thanks for the help guys! it also have four wheel drive btw.
Are you sure you have an e4od? They werent introduced until 89, but I guess it is possible some late s had it, that I dont know. Some one couldve put it in before you too, that I dont know either. Transfer case to transmission is easy, I dont remember how many bolts are there, but it was pretty straight forward. The transmission, if e4od, I think has 6. The four lower ones are pretty easy to get to. Before the top two can be removed, everything else has to be ready for the tranny to come out. With the jack under the tranny, lower the tranny until you can see the top two bolts, but be careful, this stresses your motor mounts, so dont over do it. Then you will need a very long extension, or do like me and put like 7 together lol. then lower it out.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:57 PM

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ingpattern.jpg Pic from another site
Old 12-07-2013, 01:45 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

you might have the C6 trans, same basic shape of the e4od trans.
you might need to climb under and count the pan bolts.

Quick Reply: Hello and question about transmission