Topic Sponsor

Hard to shift - Manual

Old 05-04-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Hard to shift - Manual

Hey fellow f150 nuts!

I'm frustrated with this truck.
-1996 f150 i6 5 speed-

Difficult to put the shifter in to 1st gear if stopped.
Quite difficult to place shifter into reverse also.
Sometimes quite difficult. other times not so bad, but definitely feels like I'm having to push past something tight.
If I cycle the shifter into 4th THEN 2nd, it will glide right into first like a hot knife through butter.

What I have done so far:

~A year ago replaced my slave cylinder. (bled thoroughly)
and FULL clutch kit.
She shifted like a dream for all of about 1 day......
Then back to difficult to move sticky shifter again.
Dealt with it and built up some right arm strength over the past year. (im a southpaw haha)

~Finally decided I had enough and installed a new slave AND master cylinder... and AGAIN shifted as smooth in and out of any gear anytime as one would ever want. for a few days.... BUT now back to quite difficult to get into first gear. or reverse, unless I cycle the shifter through a few gears with clutch in.

what's next???

Last edited by Franklyn; 05-04-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Does the shifter feel sloppy? Could possibly be worn bushings on the shifter.If you haven't already, you might try changing the trans fluid.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 PM

All fresh fluids yes.
And the shifter doesn't seem to be sloppy at all.
Seemingly very tight mostly, producing the hard to shift scenario.

I should add that I've had this truck for a couple years only now. Yet has had this condition since the day I got it.

Got it for a good price and just assumed a new slave/new master/clutch kit would solve any issues... Unfortunately not.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I don't know for sure if you have an adjuster on your clutch pedal - but that might be worth a look.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:16 AM

I don't believe there is any adjustment on our 9th gen clutch pedals.

Just frustrated here as it has been quite difficult to shift over the past few days..

THREE slave cylinders and TWO master clutch cylinders and it produces the exact same condition..

I'm not one to throw parts at a truck... But I just don't get what else this could be...
Fluids are good. New clutch and all hydraulic parts associated are new. What the heck else???
Old 05-10-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Not that manual trannys are my thing so much, but it's the shifting good after a new cylinder that makes you wonder there.
I know Sean posted something once about not bleeding with the bleeder screw as they're self bleeding ? And making sure there's enough fluid under the rubber thing in the master cylinder.
That's not real helpful I know but I can't think of much else that could be happening with the hydraulics.
Assuming of course that everything is installed correctly and that they are the correct parts.
It almost sounds like when you first install a cylinder it pushes far enough to fully release the clutch and then backs off a bit somehow ?
There could be a problem inside with the shifter forks or the synchros, but it's the shifting good after a cylinder change that would lead you right back to the hydraulics.
Unless that's just some weird coincidence which doesn't seem likely twice.
It really does sound like there's something wrong with that system or the way it's hooked up, or maybe something about the clutch itself that's making it not fully release ??
I'm just throwing out everything I can think of here in case something clicks.
Sorry I can't be more helpful solution wise.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:10 PM

Is it possible that this transmission got ran low by a previous owner and THAT is why its presenting hard to shift conditions?
Would that even make a difference in how it manually shifts?
Old 05-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

I just replaced the entire top end of mine. Remanufactured with new rails and shift forks. $100 out of Dallas. I do not know the name of the company. A transmission shop locally found and ordered it for me. The shift forks were $30 - $50 each, so I made out great. The shift forks are more than likely your issue. I had similar issues leading up to a fork breaking and the rails jamming leaving me with 5th and reverse only. Takes about an hour to pull the top end through the cab. Popular to belief, I did not have to remove the bench seat. It's a pretty straight forward process.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard to shift - Manual