Topic Sponsor

Fan Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fan Clutch

Recently replaced my fan clutch when I did my timing chain, wp, etc with a Hayden Fan Clutch (severe duty and the only option). The old one when cold I could stop with a newspaper and would freewheel quite a bit. The old one was not causing problems and was working real nice... Clark. I didn't leave well enough alone though and swapped it out cause I figured I might as well. The NEW clutch is really firm and seems to spin a lot more aggressively. The bearing feels fine but it is pretty loud and I'm sure it's robbing me of gas mileage. My question is, do these clutches need any sort of breaking in in ya'lls experience? I'm tempted to put the old one back in.

1995 5.0 F150 XLT wth AC
Old 01-14-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Have no clue,but I know you are looking for a quick answer. I would call manufacture to be sure.

My guess is no, you say you bought a severe duty one.........

Last edited by digitaltrucker; 01-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

I agree with what Ed said. I replaced my fan clutch when I replaced my water pump just so I wouldn't have to worry about it later on with a 'standard clutch'. I would guess a 'severe duty' would work a lot different than a standard one. its probably working the way it should.