Topic Sponsor

F-150 5.0 V-8 Rear Main Seal Replacement ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default F-150 5.0 V-8 Rear Main Seal Replacement ??

The rear main oil seal has been leaking on my 1991 Ford F-150 2WD for quite some time now. The truck only has 152,500 miles on it. I'm the original owner. My "fix" has been one of those big drip pans. I'm wondering the approximate cost, (parts and labor), for getting the seal replaced? I know it's pretty labor intensive. But I'm just wondering if anyone has had it done, and what it ran for the whole job? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check some independent shops, you could probably budget $700 and be in the ballpark. Might as well do the front seal on the transmission while it's out.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got done doing this job on a 91 F150 5.0 2wd with only 79,000mi. Was doing the oil pan also at the same time because the threads were stripped on the plug. In my case the trans (AOD) was pulled and the engine needed to come up anyhow for the pan.
For just the rear main, the trans and flexplate need to come off at a minimum to access the seal. Not sure how many hours to tell you, because these projects always have little surprises built in.

You may find a small local shop that would be willing to tackle the job for an agreed upon price. The seal is $20, its that labor...
Old 12-12-2016, 07:22 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Are you sure it's the rear main ? Often loose oil pan bolts or rocker cover bolts can give the illusion of a rear main drip. Also if your PCV system isn't functioning properly (PCV means positive crankcase ventilation - as in negative crankcase pressure) that can cause rear mains to drip, not because they're no good but because the pressure buildup has to go somewhere.
It could very well be that yours is toast, but those other things are much cheaper things to check first - you'd hate to spend all that money and find out your clogged PCV valve (motorcraft only) was causing the problem.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Are you sure it's the rear main ? Often loose oil pan bolts or rocker cover bolts can give the illusion of a rear main drip. Also if your PCV system isn't functioning properly (PCV means positive crankcase ventilation - as in negative crankcase pressure) that can cause rear mains to drip, not because they're no good but because the pressure buildup has to go somewhere.
It could very well be that yours is toast, but those other things are much cheaper things to check first - you'd hate to spend all that money and find out your clogged PCV valve (motorcraft only) was causing the problem.
Yep, be sure it's the rear seal. I had a leak that looked just like a seal leak but when I got under it and watched I could see it was the pan leaking down the inspection plate and dripping down. Still cost $500 for pan gasket replacement but better than the $7-900 to drop the trans.