Topic Sponsor

Expensive Mice living in my clutch..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Expensive Mice living in my clutch..

Hi. I have a 96 F150 4x4 with a manual transmission. Th clutch went a while back. $800 to fix.. A few months later 4 gear started to slip. I took it in and they told me that there is a mouse nest in my clutch. A while later all gears failed. Another rebuilt clutch. They re-used some parts so it was a little cheaper.

My Truck lives in a truck tent in a field and I drive it about every other weekend.

I put some Ammonia in a spray bottle and sprayed all around and under the truck. Hopefully that'll keep them away. I'm a city boy so I don't know this stuff. I'm hoping some of my country brothers might have some ideas that I haven't thought of. Some scent used for hunting maybe?

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

One idea here.....between my brother, dad and myself, we have stored our boats, campers, and a car in quonset's for ages. Here are a few item's we have used and my 2 cents on them.

Bounce dryer sheets - mice don't care for the smell, however I have read stories of guys that don't change them out every month or so, and the mice ultimately end up building nests with the sheets.

Moth ***** - Seem to work, but hate the smell of them and don't care for my boat or ice house to smell that way

Irish Spring Bar Soap - Open up the box and slide the bar out a bit and let it sit. This is our go to method...we normally buy a 12 pack and place a few throughout the boat, camper or car. Never change them and in the spring of the year...slide back in the box and just use it in the shower throughout the year

Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant - Again, this stuff smells pleasant...normally I will hang a couple of these around the boat, camper, car and never an issue.

We do have mice up where we store...we'll leave bait and traps out throughout the storage unit, and they eat it up, but we never find so much as a dropping in any of the toys. However, the bait/poison is located where any dogs/cats can not get to them. Normally we tag team with the soap and fresh cab.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
ronan (06-14-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 12:10 AM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Find how they're getting into the clutch and close it off? Can't say I've ever seen this problem.

Quick Reply: Expensive Mice living in my clutch..