Topic Sponsor

Engine cranks over but won't start when Hot

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Engine cranks over but won't start when Hot

I have a Ford F150 1996 4.9L inline 6. Only when it is over 80 degrees outside, and the engine is up to temperature, and it has been sitting for over 5 minutes, it is very difficult to start (only a problem when all conditions are met). Sometimes I have to allow it to cool before it will start (30 minutes or so). BTW this engine runs like a sewing machine when it cranks, no symptoms.
This is very weird, and screams to be a temperature sensitive electrical problem. I had replaced the plugs, wires, ignition module, checked all plug connections, and same symptoms continued. I started looking online and saw where a guy had similar issues and replaced his fuel pump (in the tank). I thought no-way, but I have 300k miles on the truck and figured I probably was due for a pump soon anyway.

Shock and Awe, this fixed my problem don't have an explanation as to what was happening but wanted to give a shout-out, maybe this will help someone else.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vapor lock?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:20 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Pump probably didn't want to start up when it was hot from running. Good to get it changed before it gave up the ghost entirely and left you stranded.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:57 PM

I have heard recently that the 87s have/had metal fuels lines coming up to the engine that overheat. sure enough, I can see metal lines coming up from the fuel filter. I'VE heard to replace them with Rubber, Obviously, for fuel. Before i go to the trouble, got other things to do on the old girl, wondered what else anyone else has heard, or known to repair the vapor lock issue. I heard it was a recall issue back in the later 80's. Comments?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

It has metal lines because EFI is high pressure. If you have a carb, rubber hose is fine. EFI requires something more substantial.
The following users liked this post:
MTmtntinkeringagain (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
It has metal lines because EFI is high pressure. If you have a carb, rubber hose is fine. EFI requires something more substantial.
Thank you for the answer to my slightly DUR post. Realize NOW, of course, on my F150 302 Early 87 ignition control module is cracked, going out. After running her for a while, she'll either Not restart 5 out of 8x or when she does, runs for a while, sputters, dies, won't even try to kick over.ONLY on above 84 temp days. Have found a few diagrams that say 87 ONLY on them. Ignition module not under Dist. so a searching we will go!!

Last edited by MTmtntinkeringagain; 07-25-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine cranks over but won't start when Hot