Topic Sponsor

E4OD Transmission Problem 94 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E4OD Transmission Problem 94 Lightning

My E4OD has been giving me all sorts of problems in my 94 lightning. It started a while back. Tranny started making a grinding noise especially loud in first gear. But would seem to go away as it would shift. But then it stopped shifting into reverse completely. Took it to a tranny shop and they replaced torque converter, put in a new filter, and changed all the fluid. Put it back in the truck and it continued making the grinding noise. When I tried to drive it, the tranny seemed to slip in a higher gear and when I came to a complete stop, I lost everything and it wouldn't shift into anything including reverse. It also made a very loud grinding and whining noise. What could have happened internally to cause such a commotion?
Old 04-11-2015, 10:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Overhaul it
Old 04-14-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

You have a '94, so your transmission will require many upgrades.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How so for the upgrades? It was the one that came with the 351w the lightning has and has handled very well to the torque the lightning puts out until it recently did this. It originally came with the lightning in 94
Old 04-16-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

There is no difference between the Lightning E4OD and a standard 5.8L E4OD. I'm not trying to say this to shoot you down over the fact that you have a Lightning, I'm just being honest with you.

There have been numerous upgrades made to the E4OD since its inception in '89.

If you compare a '94 E4OD to an '89 E4OD, the '94 E4OD is pretty stout.

However, if you compare your '94 E4OD to a '95 or higher E4OD, you have a laughable mess of a transmission.

There are plenty of upgrades that should be made to it such as the pump (from an E9 to an F5 or F8), 6 pinion steel planetary assemblies, 5 friction direct drum, hardened sun shell, upgraded sun gear, upgraded servo, upgraded center support, 4 pinion OD planet assembly, front ring gear, etc.

What I'm saying is that when you rebuild it (which is what you need to do), don't be surprised if your builder approaches you and tells you that you need to spend a bit more $$$ to have better durability based on what is the industry norm for properly rebuilt E4ODs.

Also, ATSG has an upgrade manual in addition to the rebuild manual with upgrades that can be done.

Last edited by qdeezie; 04-16-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: E4OD Transmission Problem 94 Lightning