Topic Sponsor

E4OD Slipping in first and second

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E4OD Slipping in first and second

Good evening,
I have a 1992 F-150 inline 6 with an E4OD transmission. I have some amateur experience with auto mechanics, and i love to tinker. Here is the situation, i hauled 4.5 ton RV over a 75 mile trip. My f150 performed above and beyond than what i expected. Everything was shifting really good until i arrived at my destination. I turned off my truck, and i let her sit for about a half hour to cool down. I fired her back up, and put it in reverse, and she shifted into reverse just fine. When i shifted her into drive, i heard a wine come from what seemed like the transmission area of the truck. Upon looking underneath the truck, i felt that the tranny was in fact still VERY HOT. Then i heard what sounded like fluid leaking. It was in fact tranny fluid, however, it was i the color of oil; dirty, still clear, but not red. I let her sit for a while longer, about an hour. When i shifted her into drive, the tranny sounded a little if you were dragging a steel box across a concrete floor. after about ten seconds i would be able to go forward, but no matter what, the transmission just wouldnt catch all the way until third and over drive. I put fluid in it, then i put some stop leak, no such luck. Now, my questions are, did i burn out the tranny? or maybe just first and second? Or did i destroy my shift forks? I will answer any questions anyone might have. In short, i have come to the conclusion hauling that much over that long is not good for a 22 year old truck. I know i screwed it up, however, id like to figure out what i did exactly.
Thanks for reading.
P.S. My tranny is full of fluid, but is not leaking AT ALL.

Last edited by redleg122; 09-09-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: left out minor detail.

Quick Reply: E4OD Slipping in first and second