Topic Sponsor

E40D Blues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E40D Blues.

Hay All. I'm new to this Forum, so if my questions have been addressed in another thread please feel free to direct me to it.
Okay, here it is. A friend of mine passed away last year and left his wife with his 1995 F150 Lightning with a 351W and E40D. The other day she was driving it and all was fine. then a couple days later when she went to drive it the problem started. The engine starts just fine, and goes into Reverse with no problems. But when you put it into Drive the TCC engages and kills the engine. You can go directly into manual low gear and it does not kill the engine. Like a dummy I lost the paper that has the codes from the EEC-4, but if I remember correctly there was one that said TCC fail and one that made reference to the speed sensor.
I took the truck to one of the local Transmission shop and was told that the converter or the Solenoid Pack went bad. The Trans has never been rebuilt and the Fluid has seen better days.
Well now the Trans is rebuilt with a new converter and Solenoid pack along with several "updates" as the builder put it, but unfortunately it still has the exact same problem as when I took to him in the first place. Now he says it must be the computer. Really frustrated that more troubleshooting was not done first.
The truck is still at the shop waiting on the new computer so I have no access to answer any questions that any of you might have.

Thoughts?????????

John
Old 09-19-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Not a tech on trans issues but lots of people have had E4OD problems related to the TPS, the VSS, the RABS module, and the PSOM as well as the MLPS.
Really unprofessional of them to rebuild a trans without checking all the sensors that control it first.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, my thoughts as well. Still not sure on how I can tell my friends widow she needs to write a check for two grand and the problem still isn't fixed. I'm far from a good troubleshooter, even with this 20 year old truck. The last time I was knee deep into a car was back in the late 90's when I converted my 88 T-bird to an HO engine and a T-5 trans. I thought I was pretty high speed when I diagnosed a lazy Oxygen sensor.

John
Old 09-20-2015, 03:31 AM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Post up on these forums. You can probably find someone else that has had the same issue.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/forum.php

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/

http://www.lightninggarage.com/forums/forum.php

Quick Reply: E40D Blues.