Topic Sponsor

DIY Radiator & Water Pump Change Out???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question DIY Radiator & Water Pump Change Out???

Hello,

Took my truck in for an inspection today and they discovered a Radiator and Water Pump leak and recommend changing out.

The price they gave me was $714 plus tax and fluids. Seems a bit steep to me.

I priced the radiator, pump, gasket, and upper / lower hoses online for ~$175ish.

I'm a relatively handy guy and can do most basic / intermediate jobs with decent instructions. For you more seasoned mechanics is this something you think I should attempt on my own? Can you point me to a good video / online instructions and do you have any tips for me??

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Radiator's pretty basic. The water pump can become an issue if the long bolts going through the timing chain cover are seized. They quite often can be - steel bolts going through aluminum can be an issue for corrosion; add in that you have coolant nearby and let the whole thing percolate for 24 years... Sometimes they come out real nice but sometimes they just don't, or break which is even worse.
Not to scare you off of trying it, but I would just recommend you have access to a pulley puller and have a spare timing case, spare bolts and a gasket set for it on hand just in case - because if the bolts break then the only way you can usually finish the job is to smash the timing case off and put a new one on.
Having those things ready turns "oh my god I am so screwed now" into "ok, this is going to take an extra hour or two". (call it insurance)
The following users liked this post:
924x4I6SuperCab (02-13-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Radiator's pretty basic. The water pump can become an issue if the long bolts going through the timing chain cover are seized. They quite often can be - steel bolts going through aluminum can be an issue for corrosion; add in that you have coolant nearby and let the whole thing percolate for 24 years... Sometimes they come out real nice but sometimes they just don't, or break which is even worse.
Not to scare you off of trying it, but I would just recommend you have access to a pulley puller and have a spare timing case, spare bolts and a gasket set for it on hand just in case - because if the bolts break then the only way you can usually finish the job is to smash the timing case off and put a new one on.
Having those things ready turns "oh my god I am so screwed now" into "ok, this is going to take an extra hour or two". (call it insurance)
Thanks Chris. I appreciate your advice. You wouldn't happen to have a good instruction document you could recommend do you?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

Get you a new fan clutch too. You can rent the tools to remove the big nut on the water pump for 'free' from your local auto parts store. Should be lots of youtube videos to help you
The following users liked this post:
924x4I6SuperCab (02-13-2017)