Topic Sponsor

Crazy Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crazy Problem

Okay this is a crazy new problem I'm having and can't figure it out for the life of me.
So my truck is a 1992 f150 5.8 xlt on the front gas tank it's running perfectly and smoothly, but when I flip to the back tank it starts sputtering hard like it's not getting fuel and will eventually stall itself out at idle. My first thought was water in the back tank so first i tried HEET that didn't work so I drained the back tank and put new gas in same problem. If I start the truck on the front tank switch it over and slowly rev the engine it will run off that tank until the rmp dies a bit. then it gets super rough again.
When driving on that tank it won't get to more than 35mph. I ran and pulled codes and got my usual 332 (egr code) but also got a 173 (O2 sensor indicates rich condition, right side) and 181 (adaptive fuel rich limit reached at idle, right side) I thought with that it might be an O2 sensor, but when on my front tank it runs like a champ.
My back pump you can hear running so it's not that an it does still run it's actually running lean. Is there a sensor or something that I'm just missing and not accounting for? I'm seriously getting to my wits end with this. I serious love the look and feel of this truck when it runs right..... when it runs right is the key word here atm it's turning into quiet a lemon...
Old 10-20-2016, 01:14 AM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

You need to check the fuel pressure. Just because you can hear the back pump running doesn't mean it's actually pumping enough fuel. I bet that rear pump is weak or leaking somewhere internally.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:34 AM

I'll check that in the morning what's so weird to is it's a new pump and tank got it put in back in may.... and this problem just started in august.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:06 AM

Also I figured running rich would indicate it's getting plenty if not to much fuel. As I'd expect if it wasn't getting adequate fuel that it would be running lean
Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 PM

So as of earlier today there is no fuel coming from the tank to the engine. I can still hear the pump moving, but nothing. from what I could see there is no pinched lines. and the Inertia switch is working fine. I'm at a complete loss
Old 10-23-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

strainer in tank clogged
Old 10-27-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

"new" cheaper pumps often fail. Should still be under warranty ? Put the money towards a better pump maybe.