Topic Sponsor

Conpression Test Results

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a compression test on Friday and these were the results.

1-130psi
2-130psi
3-125psi
4-130psi
5-125psi
6-140psi
7-140psi
8-125psi

The engine was semi cold. I had been driving it about 20 minutes to get coffee and let it sit for about an hour before I started. The headers were barley warm. I was wondering if these are ok results or what. I'm looking into doing heads and a cam and want to make sure my bottom end can handle that.

Last edited by Hinzbilly; 10-06-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Not bad. usually if the highest and lowest are within 15 psi of each other the motor's not having a major problem. You can now do a wet test. You need to squirt 3 or 4 drops of oil in the cylinder wait a minute or two and then check compression.
The oil will temporarily seal the rings so you can see how much compression loss is from the rings and how much is valves.
A more important test before you throw horsepower at it is to check oil pressure as that will give you an idea how good your bearings are. The sending unit for oil pressure is just an electric sending unit - you need to unscrew that and screw in an actual gauge so you can compare the pressure to what it was new. If it's down, it means the bearings are worn, in which case you may be just asking for it to bolt on a bunch of top end mods

Quick Reply: Conpression Test Results