Topic Sponsor

Clutch?

Old 11-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Clutch?

Okay so I've knocked everything off of my current to do list including: tires, springs, fuel pump, and oil pan/pump. Now I'm getting my next list together.

I'm not positive if it's the clutch or if there's is another underlying issue, so I'm hoping you guys can help me. When I push in on the pedal it almost feels like the clutch isn't completely disengaged. It's very difficult to shift into first and reverse while sitting still but if I'm rolling just ever so slightly it'll engage okay. When I'm driving it'll shift a little hard unless I'm at just the right rpm. The fluid is full and new, I just replaced the clutch master cylinder not too long ago. What does this sound like to you guys? I've been thinking the slave cylinder, but there is no noticeable leak that I can find, even inside the bell housing. Somebody said it may be the pressure plate? Honestly I don't know much about clutches and transmissions so anything will help, thanks!

By the way, 1996 4.9, 5 speed (m5od I think?) 4x2.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:13 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Haven't done a hydraulic clutch but I know it's really important to bleed it fully when you change anything.
It sounds like maybe it isn't fully disengaging
Old 11-11-2014, 01:07 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The firewall is known to flex. It may also be pushed out from flexing all those years, and/or cracked.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Haven't done a hydraulic clutch but I know it's really important to bleed it fully when you change anything. It sounds like maybe it isn't fully disengaging
It's been bled twice, second time no air came out at all. So that's good. And how would I go about checking the firewall Sean? And would that make that noticeable a difference?
Old 11-11-2014, 05:03 PM
We'd do it

Have someone pump the clutch pedal while you watch the firewall. Yes it makes a big difference.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Have someone pump the clutch pedal while you watch the firewall. Yes it makes a big difference.
Is there a way to fix this? Maybe reinforce it with sheet metal or something?

And not to sound stupid but how does the firewall flexing affect the clutch's performance?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The rod doesn't push into the cylinder all the way because the cylinder moves before it goes all the way
Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Originally Posted by Chris_1
The rod doesn't push into the cylinder all the way because the cylinder moves before it goes all the way
I guess that makes sense, is there a way to reinforce the firewall or something?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:27 AM
We'd do it

There was a recall for it. The factory uses a plate. I pushed mine back and welded the layers back together. Temporary would be to screw the layers back together but that doesn't last.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because the slave is not leaking does not mean it is entirely functional. One of mine froze up and it started off like what you're describing. Take the rubber inspection boot off the bottom of the transmission and see if the slave looks like it is getting the full range of movement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch?