Topic Sponsor

Another M5OD swap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another M5OD swap.

I want to start by saying great site. Would have never taken on this project without a lot of late nights reading post after post. 88 F150 AOD started slipping and then wouldn't shift out of first gear. TV cable pain to set so I opted for 5 speed from a 92. Swap went smoothly, but I can't start it now. 5.0l efi. I have jumpered the red/ lb wires and trans plug, let the plug in the the clutch NSS at the clutch pedal and wired the mini starter correctly I think on the solenoid. All I get is a single click. Tried to jumper across solenoid while starting with no luck. Starter tested before I put it in. What have I overlooked? I'm still running the auto computer.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

First one would have to ask what starter you are using? The 1992 has a solenoid on top of the starter, the 1988 does not. Also there is a difference between a starter for a manual transmission and one for an automatic transmission.

I believe you could use a 1992 starter on a 1988 with a few simple wiring changes. You have the right idea jumping the solenoid to see if the starter and it's close wiring are functioning.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The manual and automatic starters have a different length nose, I forget at the moment which is which, but the main thing is you need a starter for a manual.
If the solenoid on the starter can't fully engage the drive gear, then it also wont hit the electrical contacts inside, which is what lets juice go through to turn the starter motor.
Sounds like this is probably what's happening.
May be a minor wiring change, like a push on clip instead of an eye, but I think you're probably best off with a 92 manual starter just to be sure, since the starter is bolted to the 92 transmission and contacts the 92 flywheel. The motor doesn't care what starter it is.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

The auto starter (e4od atleast) has a longer nose, it will continue to spin once the engines going if it's in a manual tranny, been there done that.

Auto computer will work if you have the correct wires jumped or wired in for the neutral safety switch, if the wrong wires are jumped the key won't start the truck but jumping the solenoid will (make sure it's in neutral).
Old 01-07-2015, 07:20 AM

I wired up the starter from the 92. Last night I went back to check my wiring. All seemed correct. Just to rule out the solenoid I ran a ground wire from the frame to the firewall. No luck. I took the starter back off the truck and tested the solenoid and starter motor using jumper cable method. Starter worked as it should. I think I will buy and try the old school manual starter today. Military discount saves a lot of money when troubleshooting.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

How's the ground to the motor ?
Old 01-08-2015, 07:17 AM

Way to cold right now. I'm making all new grounds for motor and adding one for the transmission. Hopefully it is something that simple. List of jumpered/spliced wires: red/light blue wires from trans harness jumpered. Reverse lights wired. Jumper plug for clutch position switch still installed from automatic setup.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 PM

Default She's alive

Really not sure what the problem was. I braved the cold and changed the starter and changed out the steering column to a manual. Turned the key and it started right up and ran thru all gears. Need to weld up a new exhaust. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Another M5OD swap.