Topic Sponsor

96 f150 automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 f150 automatic transmission

I have an 96 f150 that seems to no longer have 3 gear. It just goes into what seems like neutral and then can only rev until the truck slowed back down. I've filled the fluid. What eles could I check and or do to try to find my issue or fix it. Help is much appreciated.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

What trans do you have? If you have an e4od then you may be having an issue with your mlps. For that fist check and clean the connection to it, it may get a little wet even though you have an updated one. I know because it's happened to me. Or your mlps could be bad. Not saying either of these are your problem but it's worth looking into. One day driving down the interstate the truck just revved up to 4000 rpm and went back into gear. Then reved and wouldn't come out of second because it was in limp mode. Pulled over and disconnected my harness to the mlps and it was wet from me pressure washing under the truck a few days before. I sprayed it with contact cleaner I had in my box and plugged back up and I have been trucking since. Happened about 15,000 miles ago.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:28 PM

Have pulled the pan and checked the transmission filter? I have a 95 when I pulled the pan there weren't any shavings that were worth worrying about so I changed out the filter cleaned the pan with carb cleaner and haven't really had any issues since
Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by harrel408
I have an 96 f150 that seems to no longer have 3 gear. It just goes into what seems like neutral and then can only rev until the truck slowed back down. I've filled the fluid. What eles could I check and or do to try to find my issue or fix it. Help is much appreciated.
Maybe try some of that Lucas transmission stop slip.

Quick Reply: 96 f150 automatic transmission