Topic Sponsor

96 f.150 electronic 4x4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 f.150 electronic 4x4 issues

Hey guys srry if their is a similar thread I searched and couldnt find anyone with my exact problem. I have a 96 f.150 with a 351w and it has the electronic push button fourwheel drive, and its worked fine ever since I, ve had the truck I tried to lock it in yesterday and I couldnt here the solenoid click or the motor engage, and the switch on the dash didnt light up. So first I checked the fuse and it was good then I changed the switch with spare one, still nothin then I checked the transfer case module up under the dash and I performed the test and it showed it was good, then I moved on to the motor on the transfer case took it off gave power too it and it spun fine, just in case I swapped it with another one that worked same thing. Buttons wouldnt light up. I tried unhooking the negative on the battery and resetting still nothin. Front drive shaft spins free so its in 2wd, So I've done everything i could think to do. Would appreciate any help. Btw I have manual warn locking hubs that work fine if that matters
Old 07-04-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Are you getting power to the motor on the transfer case ?
The following users liked this post:
jesseprince94 (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 06:39 PM

not sure should it have power all the time or only when pressing the button. the yellow and orange are power right?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:38 PM

also i just tried to do the test on the transfer case module again and when i plugged it back in and pressed the 4x4 switch i heard it engage but it didn't the light didn't come on now its stuck in 4x4 high. not sure what caused it to randomly lock itself in.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Time to start taking a real close look at your wiring maybe.
You've got a switch, a motor, a 4x4 computer module and a lot of wires. You've already been through the switch and motor so it's gotta be in the wiring or the module (I would think - there could be something like a transmission sensor or vss involved).
I'd start with the wiring because it's the cheapest to fix if the problem is there.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:57 PM

i haven't seen any visible wiring issues four wheel drive worked a few weeks ago. haven't checked the shift sensor on the transfer case yet.

Quick Reply: 96 f.150 electronic 4x4 issues