Topic Sponsor

'95 xlt transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '95 xlt transmission question

I have a 1995 xlt extended cab 4x4 that I just bought. The guy I bought it from said that he parked the truck when he got home from work, and when he went to leave for work, the truck wouldn't pop into gear. So, he just let it sit for about six months and then sold it to me. After I got it home, the trans oil dipstick was bone dry, so I started adding oil. I added about a pint at a time and would run through the gears before adding another pint. I ended up dumping over a gallon of oil into her before the dipstick read right, but I was able to get it to pop into reverse. None of the other gears would actuate, though. This morning, I started messing with it again, but I noticed that while the truck was running, the dipstick would be absolutely bone dry. However, when the truck is cold, the oil is reading way above the full line on the dipstick. I'm not a mechanic, and I need some advice. I'd love some input from folks with experience with these things.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The trans fluid needs to be checked while the trucks running (at operating temperature), in park and on a level surface
Old 08-21-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 92f150xl
The trans fluid needs to be checked while the trucks running (at operating temperature), in park and on a level surface
Yep, when you start it the fluid starts pumping from the pan throughout the trans and that's why it doesn't read. It's still low. You likely have the E4OD which takes around 18 qts of fluid.

Quick Reply: '95 xlt transmission question