Topic Sponsor

93 f150 xlt starts,runs,dies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 93 f150 xlt starts,runs,dies?

ok i have a 1993 f150 xlt ext.cab 4x4 w/5.o efi, it has 190,000 on her and now for the list of items i have replaced. New, timing chain,icm, icm connector, pip, tps, fpr, fuel filter, tank selector switch, secondary air check valve, radiator, and shifter tube assy. this truck will start right up and run like a racecar, then as if someone cut off the gas it shuts down. the voltage gauge doesnt move. i can drive down the road and be cruising normally and even if im on the gas it just simply cuts out and dies. will start right back up, but after a minute or two it will die again! my fuel pump kicks on normally every time, as the truck runs i can get up next to gas tank and hear it running inside the tank. I only use rear tank as the front rusted and leaks. ive been online more in the last month looking up solutions and everytime i replace a part, like the death of a puppy, i am crushed as my problem still exists. please please someone give me a clue im bout to give up on her and after just pumping about 1200 bucks in her im on my last nerve completely. i know the injectors are working cause ive had noid light hooked up, funny thing is i never had a lick of problems untill the timing chain was replaced, and yes it was by a ASE certified mechanic. someone throw me a bone or im just gonna flip out and this thing lol i am stressed to the max as this is my only vehicle and ive been chasing this problem for over a month.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Have you changed any of the ignition stuff; coil, plugs, cap rotor? Also look on the front for any pinched wires near the timing cover. May have just busted a connection enough that it will short out at random times. Electrical gremlins suck. Have you tested your fuel pressure? Does it hold the proper pressure for more than 5 minutes? Have you ever changed your ignition switch? Just some of the areas to look at first.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think coil was changed out, i do need plugs and wires but dont seem like that would just shut me down?? i havent checked fuel pressure yet, is it possible my pump is failing? thoughts on egr?

Last edited by braddyb; 09-12-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: added a reply
Old 09-25-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Check the fuel pressure. You can usually borrow a gauge at major parts stores. You can narrow down a bad pump or rule it out.
If it's not the pump I'd start looking at connections
Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Your description sounds here like an ignition issue. There are resistance tests given in most shop manuals to verify the coil, TFI module (I'm guessing that's what you're calling the ICM?), and the PIP module inside the distributor.

Lesson learned here is not to go cheap with replacement parts on these...
Old 09-26-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Ok the thing to do is get yourself all set up to do a spark test and a fuel pressure test. Then get it to die and run both tests fast. Then you'll know which system you need to look at.
If it's in the fuel system you're probably looking at a weak pump, as you've changed everything else.
If it's no spark, you're probably looking at a bad connection, a bad wire, or a faulty "new" part.
Possibly a bad coil ? You can test that too if you have no spark

Quick Reply: 93 f150 xlt starts,runs,dies?