Topic Sponsor

'93 4x4 wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '93 4x4 wont engage

We use 4 wheel drive quiet often, mostly to ease through sand or out in the field to keep from spinning. When ever I push the 4X4 button, I usually hear 2 clicks from the relays over in the right side kick panel, now all of a sudden it only clicks 1 time and isn't engaging the front wheels. Niether does the light come on.
Would this be a relay there in the kick panel or could it be underneith around where the wiring connects? Thanks for any info, Farmer
Old 11-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerbrown
We use 4 wheel drive quiet often, mostly to ease through sand or out in the field to keep from spinning. When ever I push the 4X4 button, I usually hear 2 clicks from the relays over in the right side kick panel, now all of a sudden it only clicks 1 time and isn't engaging the front wheels. Niether does the light come on.
Would this be a relay there in the kick panel or could it be underneith around where the wiring connects? Thanks for any info, Farmer
Could be the shift motor. When you get the time just unbolt it and see if the shaft turns by hand. Also there is a little white reset button on the ecu behind that kick panel, you could try pushing that then trying the 4x4 to see if it fixed it. I don't know how to test the ecu, sorry.
The following users liked this post:
farmerbrown (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM

Forge, that gives me two things to start with, instead of working blind! If weather permits, I will do this tomorrow. Farmer

Oh, if the motor shaft turns by hand, is this what I want or is it a problem?

Last edited by farmerbrown; 11-17-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerbrown
Forge, that gives me two things to start with, instead of working blind! If weather permits, I will do this tomorrow. Farmer

Oh, if the motor shaft turns by hand, is this what I want or is it a problem?
Its what you want. If you can manually shift it and it goes into 4x4 it means your t-case is OK.
The following users liked this post:
farmerbrown (11-17-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 06:16 AM

Default Up-Date

4 wheel is working again! Just in time for possible snow and ice-- Shift motor was locked up for some reason, got unlocked and working great.
Thanks again for info and encouragement--Farmer

Quick Reply: '93 4x4 wont engage