Topic Sponsor

92 Missing and Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Missing and Stalling Issue

Good evening fellas! New to the form but been reading up a bit so here's my first post and greetings from North Pole Alaska!

My family bought me a 92 F150 XL with the 5.0 auto last year and am just now getting to work on it. It is having a stalling problem, would start but if put into gear would stall out emediatly, if left idling it would stall out the same way after a few minutes, reading up suggested TPS, swapped it out along with plugs and the fuel filter, still stalls after a few minuts but I can keep it running at a higher rpm. Truck has just over 200k. Had no idea it had such high miles as the body is in great shape for it's age.

When pulling the plugs I found about half are supper clean, others are gummed up a bit, slightly toasted is a better description, could be blow by from the rings but not sure as kids had the truck before me and not sure what or where the plugs came from, possible they weren't new when installed.

Truck sounds like it's misfiring a bit, originally thought vacuum leak, hosed the engine down with throttle cleaner to no avail, thinking I may have a burnt engine, could it be a warm up condition? I know the vacuum system modifies after initial warm up, but I can't check with the throttle cleaner after warm cause of the stall. Also, could it be the tranny or torque converter locking up causing the stall? Not for sure on the misfire, a lot of these higher mileage trucks sound that way and run fine, a quick timing check shows all wires going to the right places, there is a trany filter kit that came with the truck, but no other details. Any pearls of wisdom out there? Compression test coming soon,
Old 07-03-2015, 12:44 AM

No codes or check engine light, swapped alternators thinking it could have been a voltage problem but no change,
Old 07-04-2015, 07:17 AM

Dead cylinders, three outa eight, somebody road this truck till the bitter end! Lol
Old 07-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Low compression in 3 cylinders ? Did you do a wet test as well ? Thinking it could be valves
Old 07-04-2015, 04:22 PM

I didn't do the wet test, engine has 200k in it so needs a block or a rebuild iether way, funny it wouldn't trip the dummy light missing the way it is, enjoy the 4th!

Quick Reply: 92 Missing and Stalling Issue