Topic Sponsor

92 F150 Ext Cab 4x2 Bent driveshaft??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 92 F150 Ext Cab 4x2 Bent driveshaft??

Howdy, folks.

I just bought a 93 Flareside 4x4 in need of an engine, and I have been trying to decide to go with a used or rebuilt.

Anyhow a buddy of mine just called and told me about a 92 F150 Ext Cab 4x2 he ran across, For Sale. He said the owner told him the 5.0 runs good but has a 'bent' driveshaft and it needs replaced. He said the truck is in decent overall condition, and maybe better than the one I just bought needing an engine.

But I did a little research on the driveshaft thing and it seems Ford used a one piece unit that is not serviceable. I'm thinking it isn't 'bent' but there is a u joint or bearing out and the seller knows how expensive it will be to fix.

From what I found online it looks to be around $800-900. Is this correct or is there a cheaper alternative?

The seller only wants $600 for the truck, but I don't want to drop another almost $1000 into a driveshaft. I am thinking about buying it and either fixing the driveshaft or pulling the engine and putting it in my truck, then scrapping the rest.

I would rather not mess with an engine swap unless absolutely necessary.
So if a cheaper driveshaft fix is possible, I may buy this truck and resell the one I bought needing an engine.

Just looking for a cheap truck for the occasional home improvement project. It probably won't get driven 10 times per year.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:29 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You don't know much about driveshafts, huh? U-joints are $10, no bearings on a one piece driveshaft. I had a driveshaft made for $200.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have replaced u-joints before, that doesn't bother me.

I was just reading about some u-joints and carrier bearings being non replaceable and I would have to get a whole shaft custom made or buy a brand new one.

Also, I called the seller yesterday and he says he is not sure what's going on with the truck but it has a very bad vibration in the drivetrain. He doesn't want to sell it that way so he is just going to call the scrapyard and have them come get it.

So I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: 92 F150 Ext Cab 4x2 Bent driveshaft??