Topic Sponsor

91 F150 steering column bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 F150 steering column bearing problem

I recently noticed a lot of looseness in the steering wheel of my 91. My notion was that the bearings had worn in the column.
After I took column apart, it appears the center shaft will not move forward enough for the bearings to ride in the correct position. (The snap ring that holds against the front bearing wasn't and will not reach the groove it is supposed to fit in). BTW, This is a tilt steering column. I hope my description sheds enough light on the problem and someone can give me the advice I need. This truck has been in the family for many years, Im looking to get it back on the road. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by schooter; 10-18-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-14-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schooter
I recently noticed a lot of looseness in the steering wheel of my 91. My notion was that the bearings had worn in the column.
After I took column apart, it appears the center shaft will not move forward enough for the bearings to ride in the correct position. (The snap ring that holds against the front bearing wasn't and will not reach the groove it is supposed to fit in). BTW, This is a tilt steering column. I hope my description sheds enough light on the problem and someone can give me the advice I need. This truck has been in the family for many years, Im looking to get it back on the road. Any advice is appreciated.
Mine had the bearing trashed too. I tried to fix it but it was worth it to just get one from a junkyard for $50.

Quick Reply: 91 F150 steering column bearing problem