Topic Sponsor

91 f150 4x4 5 speed transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 f150 4x4 5 speed transmission problems

So I bought my dream truck and have now ran into some transmission issues. I have the m5odr2 transmission and on my way home I lost 1st and 2nd gear. I was able to make it home using 3rd and 4th but obviously need to fix it before driving any further. I'm not a transmission guy but can figure some things out. 1st and 2nd gear act as tho I'm still in nuetral. I've heard everything from transmission being done to low fluid. Any ideas? I've already mentally prepared myself to start looking for a new transmission but I am low on funds. Any cheap options to get my truck back on the road? After searching for a used replacement I have found that my transmission is rare and expensive. How hard is a rebuild? Is swaping to an automatic an option? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:03 AM
Ford fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be the 1-2 shift fork. There pretty inexpensive and it's not a bad job if u are somewhat mechanically inclined. Remove the shifter. Then the floor mat or carpet. U will find a plate bolted to the floor remove it to gain access to the top plate of the transmission. It will have 10 12mm bolts. Lift the cover off. And inspect the rear shift fork for wear. U can either replace it or if ur handy with a welder and file. I have welded them up and filed them down to size while waiting for a replacement to arrive. It's a simple job on the pre 97 truck. Should only cost u around 35 bucks and a few hours labor. Google m5od shift fork replacement for pics.

Quick Reply: 91 f150 4x4 5 speed transmission problems