Topic Sponsor

91 f-150 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 f-150 starting problem

So I have a 91 f-150 with a 5.0. Has 91k miles on it and I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Gasoline up here is **** if you didn't know but I wake up and try to start my truck It will not start, about lunch time I will go out and it will start no problem for the rest of the day, until the next morning. It has new gas about a couple weeks old. I think it is just water in my line/tank from all the rain but who knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Going to put some water treatment and fuel system cleaner in it today 2Aug16 and I will update it tomorrow with what happens. Fuel pump kicks when when you turn the key, and I'm getting spark.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Davesly
So I have a 91 f-150 with a 5.0. Has 91k miles on it and I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Gasoline up here is **** if you didn't know but I wake up and try to start my truck It will not start, about lunch time I will go out and it will start no problem for the rest of the day, until the next morning. It has new gas about a couple weeks old. I think it is just water in my line/tank from all the rain but who knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Going to put some water treatment and fuel system cleaner in it today 2Aug16 and I will update it tomorrow with what happens. Fuel pump kicks when when you turn the key, and I'm getting spark.
Following up from yesterday... This morning I turned the key and i cranked it for about 2-3 seconds and it didn't start. After I turned the key off and the back to start it, mind you I need to replace my starting actuator so I have to use vise grips to start it... After turning the key to the start position I waited about 20 seconds and tried to start it and it started.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Could possibly be that the pump isn't priming to full pressure on initial prime (usually a weak pump). Sometimes you have to cycle the key (on-off-on) 2 or 3 times to get it up to pressure. A fuel pressure gauge would confirm or deny that pretty fast.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:07 AM

So it happened again, tested the fuel pressure and it is fine sitting about 40psi, I have a a new distributor, plugs, wires, ignition coil. just wondering on where to start? Maybe the module or pick up or the ignition coil?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

If you replaced the entire distributor then you replaced the pickup coil. The only other thing I can think of in the ignition system you have not replaced yet is the Ignition control module, but if that were fried I am pretty sure you would be seeing a no-spark condition.

Maybe try spraying starter fluid into the intake and see if it will start reliably that way. If it does you have bad gas or some type of fuel delivery problem. 40 psi should be plenty though. Is the 40 psi reading obtained with the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator?

Quick Reply: 91 f-150 starting problem