Topic Sponsor

4x4 swap assistance (m5od to m5od 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 swap assistance (m5od to m5od 4x4)

Alright gentlemen, I have decided to potentially embark on a journey down a dark path...the 2wd to 4x4 conversion. I love my truck, and I can't seem to find a 4x4 I like for sale, but this upcoming winter leaves me no choice.

What I have: 89 F150 with the 300 and a m50d 2wd

Available parts: I have a front axle out of a 88 bronco, and an m5od 4x4 transmission from a 90 f150 300. I also have a technical knowledge of the transmission swap having done many of them, and an employee discount at the parts store.

I'm going to have to track down a front driveshaft, and I would assume the rear driveshaft will be a different length?
Will I need to move the crossmember for the transmission?
Is their anything else that will need to be changed out? I figure I'll do the brakes and front suspension (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc) while I'm there.
Is there anything else I need to know and be prepared for?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Easiest transfer case to work with will be a manual shift (bw1354) to avoid all the wiring.
I would suggest that you plan to mount up the transmission, transfer case and rear driveshaft first.
That gets your truck back on the road fast and you can check out the transfer case, high and low and back to hi. That would be a weekend job with a little help.
Lots of rust buster on the bolts up front, especially the big one holding the spring and at the radius arm.
If you have the new front end pieces separated, the bolts cleaned up etc. you should be able to swap the front end over in another weekend with some more (reliable) help and a torch for heating up the rusty old bolts.

Quick Reply: 4x4 swap assistance (m5od to m5od 4x4)