Topic Sponsor

4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Backyard mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 conversion

I'm looking at doing a 4x4 conversion on my 95 F150 XL. I can get a rolled 95 F150 4x4 with a twisted frame for $200 at the local auto wrecker and I've heard the frames are the same. I have an extended cab short box and the donor truck is a single cab long box. Do these two trucks have the same frame? Is it possible to re use the transmition in my truck with the transfer case on the other? I'm not entirely sure what tranny is in the truck but it has less than 50,000 km on it so I want to re use it if possible. It's an automatic, 3 gears( as far as I know haven't turned off the OD to see how many) and I'm able to turn off the OD with a button on the shifter. Would I be able to use the driveshafts from the donor truck on mine? Would I have any issues with the shafts if I put a 6 inch lift under it?Another question is what are good places to get 4:10 diff's? I have a 3:31 or 3:33 open diff 8.8 and haven't had luck finding any sites with 4:10 diffs. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You cannot use you're transmission with a 4wd.(transmission must be disassembled and re assembled with 4wd transmission tail housing). You have to use the transmission with the transfer case on it already. The donor transmission should fit and the front drive shaft should work on you're truck. Idt the rear will work as the trucks had different wheel bases. Search the forum, this has been discussed many Times in the past.
Good luck!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Backyard mechanic

Thanks for the info. Well if I need to I can modify the shaft to fit and send it out to get it balanced
Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Mark

Received 2,412 Likes on 2,113 Posts

every one of these I have seen... nobody actually did it...way too much hassle.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This 4x4 conversion is probably one of the easiest to do. Yes, the frames are identical. Use the transmission and transfer case from the donor truck. The wheelbases on the rear axle aren't different between the two, but the 4x4 F150s did use 3" wide leaf springs, whereas 2wd used 2.5" wide. Not something you have to swap out, but if you want it to be "correct" then you can swap them out. I'd choose whichever has LS in it, if neither has it then run the one under there now. For the front, just unbolt the TIB that's under it now and bolt the TTB in the exact same holes. Driveshafts will be easy to have made up or you could just get driveshafts from an extended cab short bed truck out of the junkyard. Everything literally bolts up.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Your rear driveshaft will have to be changed, I'm pretty sure.
Just take both shafts to a good driveline place (look up the measurement that you need first) and have them do it. They can do a nice job and balance it properly.
The biggest stumbling block you would run into is if it's electric shift for the 4x4. Bit of a wiring hassle. Much easier if it's a manual shift t-case.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Backyard mechanic

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Your rear driveshaft will have to be changed, I'm pretty sure.
Just take both shafts to a good driveline place (look up the measurement that you need first) and have them do it. They can do a nice job and balance it properly.
The biggest stumbling block you would run into is if it's electric shift for the 4x4. Bit of a wiring hassle. Much easier if it's a manual shift t-case.
Yeah I was looking at an electronic shift transfer case but found the wrecked truck for half the price with a manual shift transfer case. I'm not sure where in BC I can get it cut and balanced but I'm sure I'll find a place. Just don't want to ship it to Ontario to have it balanced
Old 10-23-2014, 04:24 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I used an extended cab shortbed rear driveshaft on my regular cab longbed, but it was 2wd.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 AM
Backyard mechanic

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
I used an extended cab shortbed rear driveshaft on my regular cab longbed, but it was 2wd.
So if I'm correct I should be able to use the rear shaft from the 4x4 for the build. If your single cab long bed and the extended cab short bed had the same shafts that'd mean same frame. And if those are the same frames than that'd be the case for my build with my truck being an extended cab short bed and the donor a single cab long box their frames would be the same. Thanks for letting me know as it'd be the exact same case for me, just a 2wd to 4x4
Old 10-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Compare the wheelbase of both trucks. That would tell you how close to a match you will be.

Quick Reply: 4x4 conversion