Topic Sponsor

4r70w vs e4od behind 351.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4r70w vs e4od behind 351.

So I've been pondering my options as to what to do about my messed up 302 (pretty sure it jumped time AND cracked a head) and I've decided to just bite the bullet and drop a 351 in it. I already have the parts truck and the swap is happening next week but I can't decide what to do trans wise. I have a 4r70w in my truck with 220k on it, never had an issue but that's a lot of miles. Parts truck has an e4od with only 140k on it. I'm leaning toward swapping the trans with the engine but I'm looking for second opinions. I know the e4od is rated for more torque but that isn't necessarily the final word on which is stronger, things are never that simple. So what do you guys think? Is a 4r70w even strong enough to live behind a 351? I do use my truck pretty heavily. Should I replace the torque converter if I swap in the e4od or do you think it'll last a while yet? Any and all thoughts/ comments welcome.
Both trucks are '95s by the way.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I read back thru your earlier posts. You need the MAF computer for your truck and donor is non MAF. Your ecm is designed to control a 4r70w not the e4od. Otherwise I'd say use the lower mile trans. I run some decent power thru a 4r70w and it is holding up fine, it will hold up to a 351.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
I read back thru your earlier posts. You need the MAF computer for your truck and donor is non MAF. Your ecm is designed to control a 4r70w not the e4od. Otherwise I'd say use the lower mile trans. I run some decent power thru a 4r70w and it is holding up fine, it will hold up to a 351.
Did your research, thanks. I had some difficulty deciding what to do computer wise. Keeping my 4r70w would allow me to retain the maf computer, which would be badass, but I have the computer from the parts truck so I think I will go with the trans with 80k fewer miles as I plan on having the truck for the long haul. It should be a simple matter of swapping the wiring harnesses with the engine and trans and the computer; right? I can't think of any other issues but this is the first time I've undertaken a project this big so I am a little nervous.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Martin

Going from MAF to MAP would require complete wire harness swap, inside dash...the whole nine yards.i believe an ecm exists that is v8,E40D and MAF.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:34 PM

Going from MAF to MAP would require complete wire harness swap, inside dash...the whole nine yards.i believe an ecm exists that is v8,E40D and MAF.
I was under the impression that all the thinking between the ecm and engine/ trans flowed through the engine and trans harnesses. Why would anything be different under the dash? Here I thought I was golden getting a parts truck that is the same year as mine.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Martin

Say you have two 95's both v8, one is MAF and one is MAP. The engine harness is different and the ECM is different. Just stands to reason that the harness from the engine bay to the ECM would have some slight differences.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:56 AM

Say you have two 95's both v8, one is MAF and one is MAP. The engine harness is different and the ECM is different. Just stands to reason that the harness from the engine bay to the ECM would have some slight differences.
Hmm. It very well might and wiring harness modification is way outside my wheelhouse. I ordered the parts I'll need to retain my 4r70w, just wish I had time to have it rebuilt before the swap. Just for security's sake. This will be nice though, having a maf 351 will be really cool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4r70w vs e4od behind 351.