Topic Sponsor

4OD Tranny gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4OD Tranny gone bad

Hey Y'all,
I have a lovely 1994 V8 truck, short cab & short bed.

The tranny has gone bad, when I'm up to highway speed its like it doesn't want to shift into top gear, then it kind of slips, unless I switch out the Overdrive - when it runs OK but kind of high revs.

I took it to the local AATCo, and those guys could not give a straight answer, it could be something that costs $300 and can be done in situ, or it could be $ 1600 for an exchange 'box.

I can go buy a used 'box for $3-500, and have them fit that, knowing its a gamble, but ideally I'd like to get it fixed for the lowest possible cost.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

If you don't mind spending a little money before pulling the trans out have the trans flushed with a machine. Then drop the pan and replace the filter. I've seen a few over the years that got some junk loose in them that cause a slight restriction in fluid flow that caused the gears to not fully engage. However, if it's been doing it for a while and you've still been driving it you're probably be better off to swap in a rebuilt unit.

Dropping the trans and replacing it isn't that hard at all. It can easily be done in an afternoon. I'd also suggest having the converter flushed really well by a shop if you use the one you have now. There could be junk in the fluid that might not all come out when you drain it. You don't want that stuff getting into a new trans.

Quick Reply: 4OD Tranny gone bad