Topic Sponsor

302 engine rebuild questions

Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 302 engine rebuild questions

hey guys i have a few questions im thinking about doing a rebuild on my engine. im a recent ford convert so im not super familiar with them so please be patient with my questions

its a 302 in a 1994 f150 4x4 5speed ext cab.

as far as my questions..

1. with the engine being a 94 is there, or what year window is that engine family?...for example can i take a 302 out of a 89 and make it fit or has to be closer to the trucks year.

2. what are areas of weaknesses or design flaws that can be improved on the engine that should be addressed in the next build.

3. im thinking i might put a cam and headers on it, any suggestions on parts that work well, things i should consider. and what should be left alone. i hear that the bottom end/crank are built very stout so i probably dont neeed to worry about changing anything down there?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

There's a few threads where people are doing about the same thing as you. From what I've read (I dealt with 70's 302's more), you'll want to make sure it's a roller head.

Any port matching will help, although it can be expensive machining vs doing it yourself.

Don't cheap out on parts, make sure you are getting a quality set of anything.

Custom ground shafts seem to be the way to go instead of the old way of getting an "rv" cam.

I'm not sure on the model family for the engines, but I know Ford likes to change it up every few years.

I'm sure there's more, but that would be a start. One thing I will add that has helped me is checking all of the electrical connections and putting dielectric grease in them after cleaning. I usually buy some wire loom casing and replace or repair any broken sections for a cleaner look, but that's personal preference. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

87 - 94 should be a roller cam block, but it won't have the roller cam, most likely. But you can put one in. You just have to hunt up the parts (spider, dogbones etc.)
95 and 96 are equipped with the roller cam and lifter setup, they also use the 302HO cam which has the 351 firing order. These things will work with your motor with some minor modifications.
You want a roller cam, but you may not want to change to the HO firing order.

Heads - the stock E7 are fine, they don't produce as much power as the GT40's But you get pretty good torque. The Gt40's flow much better.
Gt 40 heads work well as is, GT40P heads require exhaust mods because of the spark plug position.
If you go to a custom cam, do lots of research to make sure it will work with your engine management system.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Hopefully this helps: https://www.f150forum.com/f10/bit-in...l-302s-276512/
Old 01-09-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

I'll ask what I ask in all these threads. What are you willing to spend and how wild do you want to go? I ask this because it will determine the suggestions given.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 302 engine rebuild questions