Topic Sponsor

1995 Bronco, 4.6 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Are my eyes red?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1995 Bronco, 4.6 swap?

I have a 1995 Bronco with a 5.8 that I think may need a rebuild. (Sounds like rod knock) I also happen to have a couple of crown Victoria's and one of them I no longer drive. The 94 crown Vic is sitting, engine and trans are still good just needs too many small expensive things fixed that make driving it miserable. Anyway, I'm considering putting the 4.6 into the bronco. Obviously I have the whole car, so computer, harness, and so on I have. I'd like to hear some thoughts or things to consider in doing this. Maybe later I'll stroke the 5.8 and drop it in the crown Vic haha. Thanks
Old 07-25-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 4.6 was good for the Vic's for a reason. The car is lighter and geared different and not under as much stress. The 4.6 In the 97-03 f150 were pieces of **** and tore up constantly. Swapping is also going to be a headache and a half cause nothing will mount up lots of fab work to be done. My 2 cents is to rebuild the 5.8 or pull a 5.8 out of a scrap yard with low miles on it. 4.6 will not do well in a heavy bronco not to mention they're notably unreliable in the trucks that were designed for it.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:17 PM
Are my eyes red?

Yeah, I've been talking to a few other people as well, and pretty much came to that conclusion. I may have a couple leads on cheaper engines but I'm still not familiar with Denver so I don't know the good places to look yet. I'm thinking I'll put in a used 5.8, then take my time building the current engine. I am interested in stroking it, but I'm pretty new to modifying engines so, I'll be taking my time and asking questions along the way. Thanks for your input
Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Bronc
Yeah, I've been talking to a few other people as well, and pretty much came to that conclusion. I may have a couple leads on cheaper engines but I'm still not familiar with Denver so I don't know the good places to look yet. I'm thinking I'll put in a used 5.8, then take my time building the current engine. I am interested in stroking it, but I'm pretty new to modifying engines so, I'll be taking my time and asking questions along the way. Thanks for your input

If you want to learn more info about modifying the 5.8 find a Mustang shop in your area and try to pick their brains a little. Hit the car hangouts on Friday nights. If your truck is an automatic it should be a mass air setup and Mustang guys (well the older guys that are still into the fox bodies) will know how to work with the mass air setup to put different mods together to get the most out of your money.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 AM
Are my eyes red?

I'm in colorado. Around here it's app Tacoma's, subarus, and audis. Lol I'll just spend a few hours with my friend Google this weekend

Quick Reply: 1995 Bronco, 4.6 swap?