Topic Sponsor

1994 351w sputtering under load, fails to start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 351w sputtering under load, fails to start.

I have been having a problem with my truck for a couple of weeks, while going up a hill or under a load at highway speeds it will sputter and jerk some.

Thought the cap and rotor looked worn so I replaced those with no change.

Today I was driving it and it was running fine, then I shut it off for about 30 minutes. When I went to restart it, it ran like it had about half of the plug wires off for a second and cleared up at idle, but then as soon as you gave it any throttle it started popping and sputtering out and would barely pull itself.

Let it idle for a bit, drove it home in second gear to keep the rpms up where it ran better. Once i drove for a bit it cleared up and ran fine.

Fast forward to home, shut it off for about 20 minutes, tried to restart it and nothing. No sputter, no missing, just acted like no spark at all. waited about 5 minutes and tried again and all was fine again, no issues.

Through all of this no CEL at all.

Any ideas? We got some snow here and I'm supposed to be using this to take my wife to work at 4 am and I really don't want to be stranded.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

In order of likelihood :
On the electrical side, coil, PIP or ICM will do that.
A failing fuel pump would give similar symptoms.
Throttle position sensor and temperature sensor (sensor, not sender) are other common issues.
You need to check for spark when it's refusing to start. A fuel pressure gauge ($50 - $60) would tell you how well the pump is working. A cheapy multimeter ($15) will allow you to test the tps and many other sensors as well.

Quick Reply: 1994 351w sputtering under load, fails to start.