Topic Sponsor

U-joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-joint replacement

I got my 1990 F150 inspected yesterday, and it passed. However, the mechanic said I should replace the rear u-joint on the driveshaft. This is a 2-wheel drive long bed truck. Has anyone done this job, and are there any helpful suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Randy
Ithaca, NY
1990 Ford F150, long bed, regular cab, 2-wheel drive, 5.0 liter, 5 speed

PS I picked up a load of gravel yesterday...1,600 pounds...so the truck still hauls. The guy loading it asked if I wanted to sell it. Happens all the time around here, because there's no rust on this southern truck that lives in the rust belt.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are a easy fix if you know what your doing. Some times the they can be a pain getting together with the needle bearings they fall out. I would replace both u joints on driveshaft.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Yes, I have replaced a U-joint before on my MGB, so I know the basics.
But, the U-joint at the rear of the drive shaft isn't flanged to bolt to the rear differential. It looks like it might be U-bolted. If so, I guess you just unbolt those. Sound reasonable? I would then replace the U-bolts, along with the U-joint.
Probably when I get to this job it will be obvious how it all comes apart. I need to clear out a bay in the garage and get under the truck. Heading there now.
Thanks for the input.
Randy
Old 04-09-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep it sound like you got it handled. You should be fine.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did the rear on my 89 but the bed was off at the time,not that big of deal,I always use Youtube before I do anything theres a couple things that can save you some time..I only replaced a couple but Youtube helped a lot..
Old 04-21-2015, 07:19 AM

Default Done

I got the u-joint installed, but not without some hassle. I had to use penetrating fluid, then heat, to get the old one out. Then, the new one was a hair too big to fit in the yoke. I couldn't get the circlip in on one side. So, I slightly beveled the circlip, allowing it to get into the groove.
Thanks for the ideas. I used Youtube, too. Always helps.
Randy

Quick Reply: U-joint replacement