Topic Sponsor

Tips to remove 4x4 front axle bushings.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Tips to remove 4x4 front axle bushings.

See title.

Factory bushings are old, dry, and coming apart. I have replacements. Just wondering if there's a simple way to do this considering the angle of the drive shaft/axles/etc. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Nevermind. Took most of the day but I did it. I won't tell how since this is highly dangerous using floor jacks and jackstands. That 4x4 diff and the axles are very heavy. The actual replacement took about 20 minutes on one side and about 45 on the other since I had to cut out and replace the metal sleeve. The rest of the time was spent checking and rechecking my plan for safety reasons.

If you have a friend with a hydraulic lift to get the whole truck off the floor do it there. You only need to lift it enough to get the wheels off the ground a few inches. This allows flex-room to bring the bushings down so you can get to them.

Find a 1-7/8" or 2" 3/4" drive socket and a long 1/2" or 3/4" bolt with nut (or a 1/2" drive socket of the same size and a long bolt to fit through it), a few big washers, and use this rig to press the new bushings into place. You can also use it to press the old parts out but I found it easier to just jerk the metal tube out and pick the rubber out with pliers and a screwdriver.

Lube all the rubber more than you think you should before you reassemble it.

Then hope you never have to do this again.

Quick Reply: Tips to remove 4x4 front axle bushings.