Topic Sponsor

Strange Brake Problem-Possible Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Brake Problem-Possible Problem?

I have a 1996 F-150 4.9 5 speed. Bought 1 year ago/brakes all around replaced along with front calipers, front brake lines and rear wheel cylinders shortly after buying the truck. Two days ago when I left work and approached a traffic light the right rear wheel locked up when I applied the brakes. It did not happen again all the way home. Now, whenever the truck has been sitting for my work shift or in my driveway for several hours the right rear wheel locks up upon the first application of brakes when driving, then it never happens again for that trip. What could be the problem?

oldwest
Old 08-17-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at the axle seals ? I had that problem with mine and ended up being leaky seals.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that problem as well. It got better after I replaced the wheel cylinders. I know you have already replaced the wheel cylinders about a year ago, but sometimes "new" wheel cylinders are just cheap rebuilt/reconditioned ones that don't last. I've had them leak right out of the box before. For what they cost, get another pair and install and check your side axle seals while it's apart just to be sure. Good luck
Old 08-21-2014, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the answers guys; I'll check that to see if it is the problem. I was stumped!

oldwest
Old 08-22-2014, 07:22 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Sounds like its time to pull the drums and check the hardware as well as the seals for contaminated brake shoes.

Quick Reply: Strange Brake Problem-Possible Problem?