Topic Sponsor

Steering knuckle leaks, 87 5.0L v8, PS

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering knuckle leaks, 87 5.0L v8, PS

Over the last year I have been noticing an oil leak under the front left of the truck. Wiped everything down and looked for a leak, nothing. Changed out the power steering pump. The growling at the pump is from it running low on fluid.
After many attempts at finding a leak it appears to be coming from the top of the steering box. I think the seal at the top shaft that goes to the steering wheel is what is leaking. Is it reasonable to attempt to replace the seal or should I start searching the local auto salvage?
I have rebuilt about 30 different motors and have performed most maintenance on my vehicles boats and bikes. I have not had a chance to work on the steering box to this point. Sometimes it is easier to replace than repair especially if the tools needed cost more that a used part. Thought I would ask before I jumped into this.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Definitely repair your present steering box. If you get one from a salvage yard hard telling what you'll get.

You buy a seal kit from Ford garage or an auto parts place. There is one kit for where yours leaks(top seal kit) and one kit for the shaft where the pitman arm hooks on(lower seal kit). I would replace both while you have the steering box removed. There will be a lot of extra parts in the kits, just replace the seals and surrounding parts. You don't really need any special tools except a pitman arm puller and maybe some snap ring pliers. The kits are maybe 20 dollars each. That's the way to go in my opinion.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the information. Memorial Day wknd coming up and will finally have some time to address this, plus having to power wash the drive.

Quick Reply: Steering knuckle leaks, 87 5.0L v8, PS