Topic Sponsor

So many seals, I'm confused. can I get some guidance?

Old 08-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default So many seals, I'm confused. can I get some guidance?

So first things first, 94 4x4 with Dana 44, 5.8l. Soon I'm be switching out the auto hubs for Warn premiums and I figure I'll repack the bearings at the same time. I'll need to replace the wheel seals but there are sooooo many, inner seal, outer seal, axle seal, grease seal. I have no idea which ones to order. Can someone help me out?!?!

Last edited by VickMacky; 08-06-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 on each side for the front axle, inner and outer. With the correct tools you could be able to reuse the seals if the grease inside looks clean and free from road debris.
But if you looking to just go the 9 yards then I would recommend Timken, as that's what came on the truck.
As for the axle seal, if the are talking about the differential cover then a something as simple as RTV will work, but some auto stores will carry a paper pre-cut, just make sure you know your axle to get the right one.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Montclair
2 on each side for the front axle, inner and outer. With the correct tools you could be able to reuse the seals if the grease inside looks clean and free from road debris.
But if you looking to just go the 9 yards then I would recommend Timken, as that's what came on the truck.
As for the axle seal, if the are talking about the differential cover then a something as simple as RTV will work, but some auto stores will carry a paper pre-cut, just make sure you know your axle to get the right one.
Thanks. I'm just wanting to replace the seals on the back side of the rotors after repacking the bearings. I've been watching videos on how to change out to manual hubs and I never seen a grease seal on the inside of the hub, only on the backside of the rotor. Am I just missing the one on the inside of the hub?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the extent of my memory, yes. The back side of the rotor is your inner and the one right behind the hub is your outer, and that's what you need
Old 08-10-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

IF it's the same as a Dana 35 there is also a bearing and seal in the spindle itself (almost always neglected). You have to unbolt the spindle from the knuckle and take it off to get at it. It's what the axle shaft itself rides on as it comes through the spindle. Lots of people don't even know they are there or can't be bothered, so they almost never get regreased, although they are supposed to be
Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 96 that I have replaced all the seals on and have started hear squeaking noise when driving. MIT sounds like a hanging brake pad but it isn't. With the wheel off I can see the outer seal ( the stationary one) vibrating when I turn the hub. When I go any faster than 10 MPH, the squeaking starts. I used made in China crap seal kit but am going to use some from Napa that are not made in China. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So many seals, I'm confused. can I get some guidance?