Topic Sponsor

Sloppy Steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sloppy Steering

I've had this truck for about a year, and it's always had a lot of play on the steering wheel, but lately it's awful! Especially when it rains and I hit puddles or when I'm on the highway it is hard to control. I know before I got it they replaced the steering box because it was leaking, so maybe complications with that? Or maybe it wasn't done property. I probably need an alignment as well. Would those be the only things contributing to the sloppy steering? It's driving me crazy lately.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

An alignment, especially the toe - in is crucial to good steering. Any good alignment shop will check over the whole front end and tell you if there are any issues before they do an alignment. They might do that for free, but even if you have to pay them 40 or 50 dollars to thoroughly check the front steering/ suspension system, it would be money well spent.
Having it start getting a lot worse could indicate a tie rod or such that's about to let go. You don't want that to happen while you're driving.

Last edited by Chris_1; 11-26-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A word on the steering gear...most of the remanufactured boxes include only a quick seal replacement and a paint job. Redhead (and maybe Motorcraft) remans at least include new bearings and some thought behind the rebuild but they cost around $400 if memory serves.

You get what you pay for, in other words, so if the previous owner tossed in a $50 Autozone special, then it's entirely possible that the "new" box was hardly better than the old one. Just shinier. They're all going to be remanufactured Motorcraft units, I don't think that Ford sells new ones anymore.

Turn the steering shaft and watch to see if the sector shaft moves at the same time.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
An alignment, especially the toe - in is crucial to good steering. Any good alignment shop will check over the whole front end and tell you if there are any issues before they do an alignment. They might do that for free, but even if you have to pay them 40 or 50 dollars to thoroughly check the front steering/ suspension system, it would be money well spent.
Having it start getting a lot worse could indicate a tie rod or such that's about to let go. You don't want that to happen while you're driving.
Thanks! I found an alignment shop half an hour from my house that has amazing reviews. I appreciate the help!!
Old 11-28-2016, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by east302
A word on the steering gear...most of the remanufactured boxes include only a quick seal replacement and a paint job. Redhead (and maybe Motorcraft) remans at least include new bearings and some thought behind the rebuild but they cost around $400 if memory serves.

You get what you pay for, in other words, so if the previous owner tossed in a $50 Autozone special, then it's entirely possible that the "new" box was hardly better than the old one. Just shinier. They're all going to be remanufactured Motorcraft units, I don't think that Ford sells new ones anymore.

Turn the steering shaft and watch to see if the sector shaft moves at the same time.
thanks!!! I found an alignment shop half an hour from
my house that I'm going to take it to. I got the truck from a shady dealership that I found out lied about a lot of the work done on it. So I highly doubt they put good money into the box. The alignment shop I found had really awesome reviews so hopefully they'll be able to figure out what's going on. I've been off reading a few times and hit some bad bumps, so I'm sure I need an alignment pretty bad too! Thanks for the reply
Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow up?

How did you do with your alignment? I'm wondering because my '95 XLT has a lot of play it its steering. Ive chalked it up to "old school" power steering, but am now wondering if it might be something else.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You can check it all yourself if you know what you're doing and exactly what to look for, but if you're not quite that well versed, most shops will only charge you $40 or 50 max (probably less) to check it all out and tell you exactly what's wrong.
Just find a shop you can trust - ask around, check reviews if you can find any. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
If you don't trust the answers, move on.