Topic Sponsor

self adjuster cable seems too long

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default self adjuster cable seems too long

My Ford is a 1995 f150 xl 4x4 5.0. A few months ago I replaced the rear drums, shoes and all the hardware. A few days ago the right rear began to squeak. I lifted the rear end and noticed the brakes were no longer applying with the pedal. I removed the drums and saw that the adjuster cable had come off the lever on the right side. I also realize that the adjuster lever does not rest on top of the star wheel as it should. Instead it rests on the inside of the shoe below the star wheel. If I try to place it on top where it should be it is pulled back down by the spring.
So my problem is that the brakes are not self adjusting. The only thing that I can see that could be causing it is that the adjuster cable is too long.
My questions to all of you:
Is this a common problem?
How long should the adjuster cable be?
Do they come in different lengths?
and
Is there a common solution?

P.S. The adjuster cable guide is flush with the shoe and the cable is in its grove and not behind the guide.
All springs are in the correct holes. I will take photos later today and post them if it helps.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:55 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Yes, pictures.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Suggest if the cable is too long, either a made-in-China error, or the hardware kit was not for the correct drum brake size....???
Old 10-03-2014, 09:49 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

There's a piece that likes to slip out of the hole, for the cable. When that happens the cable is too long.

Quick Reply: self adjuster cable seems too long