Topic Sponsor

removing a lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing a lift kit

My 94 F150 has a 4" suspension lift and a 2" body lift. I want to remove the body lift. I'm told to unbolt the cab, lift it then remove spacers. Then set the cab down and re bolt. Same with bed area.
My question: is it as simple as that? And can this be done with a simple floor jack?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default depends

depends on the lift kit, but most are just spacers and perhaps longer bolts.

You will need at least two good jacks, or at least that is what I have done - and a bunch of hardwood scraps for jack plates and safety spacers.

I first mark the cab floor with where it sits in relation to the frame (should keep the cab squared to the frame, assuming the factory did what they should, and the truck has not been wrecked)

Loosen all the spacer bolts, but leave the ones on one side at least a bolt diameter in threaded in. This will keep that "side" of the body from sliding off where it needs to be, while you do the other side. I have always done side to side.

remove the lift spacers, replace with stock ones, and get the bolts started well in to the threads, set that side down, keeping your marks where they should be, and then do the other side.

best of luck, I always have a helper or overwatch.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Sounds easy but doing it in the back yard will add adventure. Thanks.