Topic Sponsor

Refresh Suspension question

Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refresh Suspension question

Wanting to update/refresh my suspension. Other than putting new shocks and coils on my truck what else should I go ahead and replace. Wanting to try an get it back to how it was when it was new.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:02 AM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Any worn bushings as well.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ball joints
Old 05-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ball joints make a HUGE difference. As do radius arm bushings. If you're going for the soft, OEM feel go with rubber radius arm bushings over poly. I like the durability of my poly but they make for a firm, shuttering ride over bumps sometimes.

Next, check tie rods (both the long inner tie rods, the drag link, and the outer tie rods connecting to the axle spindles). If they are wasted then new ones make a pretty big difference in steering, and how the truck feels going down the road.

Also, do you have any sort of knocking or clanking sounds? Truck pulls to left or right when braking?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 PM

I'm not sure if there is a clanking...now it is pulling to the right.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:20 PM

Do you know how much tie rods, ball joints, radius arm bushing will cost?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM

I always go with Moog brand parts. Avoid local auto store parts (such as drive-works, etc). With the amount of effort needed to change these parts you won't want to go low-quality.

Moog ball joints are about $25 a ball joint, and you'll most likely need 4 (2 upper and 2 lower, one for each side in front)

Radius arm bushings are $15-20 for entire set (both sides of truck included)

Tie rod ends are $17 a side. Inner tie rods (the long guys) are much more pricey, but you may not need those if they aren't bad. My truck is a '95 and still has the factory inner tie rods in good condition.

What i will say: If you aren't used to working on cars/trucks and don't have the experience then the cost here is your time. Changing ball joints for the first time took me many hours (probably 10). You'll want to rent a ball-joint press at advance auto or autozone for free. If you've done all of this at least once for this style of truck then it'll take you probably 2-3 hours. It's the learning factor that eats time
Old 05-22-2015, 10:27 AM

I looked into it an will place my order Monday from Rockauto and order all Moog parts you suggested including new Moog springs.

I'm really shocked for around 200 bucks I can get all new suspension parts to get my truck riding like new. Even if I have to have someone install the parts that's still a great deal.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Digem
I looked into it an will place my order Monday from Rockauto and order all Moog parts you suggested including new Moog springs.

I'm really shocked for around 200 bucks I can get all new suspension parts to get my truck riding like new. Even if I have to have someone install the parts that's still a great deal.
Rockauto is a great place and if you look around you can find a 5% off coupon. I bought all my stuff from Amazon, because they offer the free prime 2 day shipping and no questions asked returns. If you buy from Rockauto MAKE CERTAIN you get the correct parts. Sometimes the parts don't have great descriptions on Rockauto. So just make sure you're getting the correct ball joints for 2WD or 4x4 (they are different) and what not.

If you're a handy person (and this isn't your only vehicle), you might try putting them on yourself -- It's not too scary if you watch some videos. There's an excellent video on how to do the ball joints here:

A shop will run $300+ for ball joints i'd guess, with extra going up from there.

Either way you're right -- it's a good deal. Ford sold millions of these trucks and that just makes it better for the rest of us!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:12 PM

Let me ask you...what shocks do you suggest? Also I know I need the Moog springs but what model number?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Refresh Suspension question