Topic Sponsor

Rear brake line rusted

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake line rusted

Guys,
I have a 1990 F150. Brake line rust through along the frame. I was able to disconnect it at the front end, but the connection near the rear axle is causing difficulty. It's close to the gas tank, and it connects to a rubber hose that goes to the distribution block on the rear axle. So, I'm reluctant to use too much heat/torch. I've used Thrust for 24 hours, and can get vice grips on it, but it's really rusted on there. Attached is a photo.
It looks like I might have to take off the rubber hose. How is it attached at the frame? It looks like it might be a clip the slides around the top, but it's too rusty to tell. I've beat on it, but it's not budging.
If I do get the rubber hose off it looks like it is integral with the distribution block on the rear axle. This block looks like its welded to the axle, but that doesn't seem likely. How is the block attached?
Any help would be appreciated.
Randy
1990 F150
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

A clip holds it at the frame, same as the ones on the front rubber lines. Won't be easy but once you get the old one off you'll be fine. Flat screwdriver and beat the crap out of it.
The distribution block is held on by a hollow bolt that also acts as a breather for the diff. If you disconnect the lines, turning the whole block might work better. Get the bolt out of the block on a workbench.

Quick Reply: Rear brake line rusted