Topic Sponsor

Rear brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear brake issue

Put on new rear drums the other day and I screwed up. I forgot to clean drums. A lot of vibration. Yesterday, I took drums off, cleaned them and seemed good and smooth. Also cleaned brake shoes and at the top and bottom of each shoe was a very rough area. Took some fairly gritty sandpaper and cleaned them up. I noticed at top of leader shoes was high and low places. I was pretty sure I got them cleaned up but still have vibration. Any answers as to what I should do next other than replacing shoes and having drums lightly turned?
Old 12-07-2014, 12:10 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

With new drums you should have replaced the shoes as well, but as long as they have worn evenly it will work.

Did you bleed the brake line after reinstalling everything? Some drums/rotors and/or shoes/pads call for a break in cycle while others say it's not needed to properly seat the pad/shoe to the drum/rotor, did you follow the directions regarding your drums? You are sure that everything is assembled correctly and moves as it should?

Just a guess based on the description of your current shoes is that they may need to be replaced due to uneven wear, that's just a guess though until you can verify everything else above.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Brakes could need adjusting. They should be where the drum will just fit over them but turn without contacting. The self adjusters will take over from there, if they're freed up good.
The other possibility is that the new drums are warped ? It happens. Warranty.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were new Motorcraft drums and I didn't disassemble the brakes. The shoes were about 1 year old with less than 10k miles on them. I'll drive this week and see were it gets if any improvement. I adjusted shoes also. Thanks for input and I'll follow up on this thread with occurs.

Quick Reply: Rear brake issue